Thursday, January 22, 2009

The blessed sound of a blow torch

So, yeah, our well blew up yesterday. Pants noticed it at about 7 last night because we don't really go downstairs while the girls are awake. There was water shooting straight up into the air, the entire well space was full of water (about 1.5-2 feet) and the entire carpet in the main basement room was waterlogged. Water also soaked through (under?) the wall and 4-5 feet into our bedroom and 4-5 feet into the office as well.

Pants slogged through the very cold water to turn off the pump and stop the geyser before realizing he could have just turned it off at the breaker. I started calling plumbers, only to find out we needed a well contractor (although that is also still debatable, now that we can see the damaged pipe.) I made the call to insurance and to MIL to come watch the kids while we tried to figure out how much damage there was and see if we could start getting some of the water up.

BIL directed Pants in buying a bilge pump, which successfully drained the well out by around 11:30. Which was about when I broke down and drove to Walgreens in my jammies to buy a new pack of nukkies so the girls would go to bed (they got lost in MIL's quest to clean upstairs while we dealt with water downstairs).

The well contracter is here this morning fixing the pipe and I am waiting for a call from a "water mitigation" company who will come dry out my house and tell the insurance company if the carpets and walls can be saved.

But here's a funny moment from last night - I'm taking down the Christmas tree (I know, I know) and throwing it over the couch onto the built-in bench (hey, we finally found a use for it) and I spill a glass of water off the table onto the floor. Swearing commenses and my SIL says, um, yeah, not really a big deal at this point, you know? Oh yeah, we flooded the basement. Another glass of water? Not so much.

6 comments:

Kashka said...

That sucks in about 25 different ways. Sorry to hear it, but hope that your insurance company is on the stick.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Oh nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Oh how sucky!!! Wishing you luck in getting everything dealt with successfully & timefully. Man.


The glass of water made me giggle though & I, too, have Xmas decorations still up.

Unknown said...

Oh geez, that doesn't sound good at all. Eek. I just got my Christmas stuff taken down last week so I wouldn't say you're doing too bad. Back in my college days McD's in St Cloud used to leave their Christmas lights up umtil March or so.

Allknowingjen said...

1.5 to 2 ft?!?! Holy crap that sucks- Sorry! Hope nothing was ruined and I hope it's all taken cleaned up and fixed quickly.

DiploWhat said...

Yuck! Why does crap like that also always happen when it's cold out instead of in summer when you could have told the kids you have an indoor pool now?

Syl said...

Ok, that cracked me up.