Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Cane talk

I go back to Dr. Pittman tomorrow and I'm hoping to ditch the crutches, even if it means I end up with a cane. In fact, I'm gonna push for the cane. If I have to use one for a long time, I'm going to get a nice one...

The handle is really the most important part, the rest is really aesthetics.
  • Root Knob Handle: considered these, but, um, they just seem so... I don't really want to walk around cradling a testicle all day.
  • Tourist/Hook Handle: traditional, but can cramp fingers together.
  • Derby Handle: More decorative, but comfortable and ergonomic.
  • Fritz Handle: Open-ended design that won't cramp fingers, very comfortable
  • Cosmopolitan Handle: New design, comfortable
  • Left/Right Hand: Ergonomic handle that is ordered for either the left or right hand
  • Palm Grip: As the name suggests, meant to be used with a flatter palm as opposed to gripping it with the fingers. Also ordered for left or right hand.
And then there are those aesthetics - I can get canes in wood, including exotic woods like zebrano or Irish blackthorn, or a metal or plastic (lucite) cane. And accessories! Ice picks, rubber tips, cane holders, hangers and stands.

And then there are these canes...


Oh, and here's what I'll probably end up with.

2 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

I can see that you've researched this extensively.
"real bull organs"- Um. The hell?!?
I vote for Derby because it seems like the one that a proper British lady of a certain age would use.
Good luck with Oh, Dr Pittman!

Unknown said...

I think my mom has one of those from when she had her knee surgery. You know me, I'd buy the cheapest one out there as long as it wouldn't snap in half the first time I used it... Good luck!