Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Getting better

It's been a better week for us, due to better planning and more adjustment time.

Monday: drop off went ok, Kitten started throwing a fit but we managed to pull it back and get everything moving on. Hammer didn't want to go to "school" but saw her teacher in the window and I convinced her to go in and say hi. She ran up to her in the hallway and gave her a huge hug. I was early to work and made it in time for an 8 am conference call (which was canceled). I picked her up early to go to the dentist, where she did not throw a fit, although Kitten saw us leaving from the fence and was a little concerned. Hammer even let the dentist take an x-ray of her front teeth, which were indeed pushed back. They aren't doing anything at this point, but we have to go back if they turn gray or abcess. Pick up was successful, but we were already halfway out.

Tuesday: getting dressed is a chore as i realize Kitten wants to be dressed like a toddler. I hope this regression doesn't last long. I can tell they're getting tired and the early hours are wearing on them. Drop off is good but I have to stop for gas, so I'm about 15 minutes late. Pick up is fabulous, as I am now bribing them to leave with Cheez-Its. Hammer peed twice in the potty at school, two more times than we have gotten her to go at home.

Wednesday: Near meltdown in the morning with getting dressed and Hammer throws a hissy in front of the door. I take Kitten outside and belt her in and determine that Hammer's fit stemmed from her wanting to open the door. I close it, she opens it, and we get in the car. Drop off goes well and Kitten has been drawn to a very cute black girl as her friend, which thrills me. One reason we moved was for a little more diversity. Pick up is excellent, even though Hammer is playing in the "Village" room when I get there and last time I had to drag her out kicking and screaming. I offer the Cheez-Its and she jumps into her coat.

This evening, however, I can tell the girls are getting fatigued. They are whining, arguing, picking at each other, and fighting any request we make. They don't want to go to bed. I would like to chloroform them.

I am also tired from getting up earlier each day to make them toast and yogurt before asking them to get dressed and getting moving earlier so I can get to work on time. It's making bedtime a bit tougher this week, but at least we're not throwing fits in public.

On a nicer note, the teachers told me today how adorable it is that the kids' classes overlap for outside time in the afternoon and they both squeal and run to each other like they haven't seen each other in weeks.

4 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Glad to hear it's going better. And there is not a thing in the world wrong with bribing them to leave with Cheez-its! Call it an appetizer, or pre-supper snack if it makes you feel better. :)

Poor teeth - here's hoping they don't turn gray!

Can you do any of the am stuff the night before as prep? I mean, maybe dish up the yogurt & put it in the frig, stick the bread in the toaster ready to be popped down, set out plates & cups or whatever. It might not seem like it's saving you much time, but some mornings even a couple of minutes help! I've started doing that with our cereal stuff & it does make a little bit more smoothness in the mornings.

And that is totally, totally adorable about the squealing midafternoon reunions!!!

Allknowingjen said...

That is so sweet! Sisters are the best :)
The center that we use in the summertime actually had a big basket of snacks by the door to grab for the ride home. So clearly you are on to something.
Sounds like they really like the place so far! (do you? Do you like the teachers?)

Unknown said...

It's awesome that they seem to like their teachers so much while it hasn't even been long since they've been there.

I agree with Mrs H about the snacks too, I'm sure they're hungry anyway so it can't technically be called bribery, can it?

Yay for the potty accomplishments too. It seems to help some kids when there are other children their own age that go potty too, then they realize that maybe the aren't a baby anymore.

Happy Veggie said...

Depending on when I get M, they regularly offer to send her snack home with her in a cup. If it is not a cup friendly snack, they give her one that is.

I seem to remember your kids were ridiculously early to bed (where I got the idea for M's bedtime) but could you move bedtime up a bit to help them get more rest?

Glad to hear it is all going to so well.