Sunday, June 07, 2009

Random Thoughts

Kitten decided to potty train herself this weekend. As long as she wasn't wearing pants of any sort, she did pretty well, but seemed to forget herself if we put jeans on her and had three accidents that way. So she ran around in her underwear most of the weekend. But she seems to really have the idea of it, at least peeing. And she's excited about it.

Pants and I went to a graduation party with a large Indian family and it was FABULOUS. I can now claim a minor obsession with all things India. The food was amazing. The family was gorgeous and so hospitable. The dancing was a mix of club and traditional India. The clothes were absolutely opulent. And damn, in addition to the high school graduation we were there for, there was a new MD, a new Masters graduate, and a bioengineering major. I bet that gets him farther than an English degree...

The kids have been staying up late - last night Kitten was up past midnight. In her room, but still. What do I do with a kid who will just sit up in her room for hours and not go to bed? I hear duct tape is frowned upon.

We put up the swing set that MIL and family gave the kids for the summer. Yes, I know we didn't want one. Yes I know we live no more than 100 feet from a park. THAT'S WHY WE BOUGHT THE HOUSE. But oh dear, she was sure we needed one. So now the kids have a swing set. Yep, the same metal swing set you remember from when you were little too, with two swings, a two-person glider, and the attached slide. Great.

6 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

Hey, speaking of swingsets, I hear you have a slide you may be looking to get rid of. If that is the case, let me know. We're looking for back yard stuff to keep the kid entertained while I garden.

Yay for potty training. Maybe we could go to India together, when I we pay off our debts.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Hey, so, Indian food for Friday? ;) I tried emailing you, but maybe don't have your current email. You wanna email me at myfirstname@ hubby'sfirstnamelastname.com? Ta!

DiploWhat said...

In my opinion, India is great so long as you don't live there. Though, I'm sure living there would help me lose an additional 10lbs. You wouldn't believe the disease stories I hear from there. Had one friend who was there but one week and got Denghi fever. But, I would totally visit.
Who knows, we may end up there yet (though that would really tick off Wog), but only so long as it's New Dehli. That's my condition anyway. Of course, Wog doesn't like Indian food....But we thought we really liked Chinese food until we got here....
When you do visit, in any "good neighborhood" (aka not slum) ask folks on the street what their level of education is. Dollars to donuts 90% of them will have PhDs.

DiploWhat said...

Oh, forgot to ask, did you put in cement supports for the swing set? I remember ours when I was little and it wasn't grounded very well and my favorite thing was to see if I could swing so high to make the whole set rock.

Syl said...

They make anchoring systems now and they seem to work better than I would have guessed. We'll see when the kids are each 10-20 pounds heavier and hell-bent on destruction.

Unknown said...

Fun. Hope your swing set ends up being more well used than ours. Right now it's a fairly attractive decoration in the back yard. Sometimes I wonder why I bothered hauling it over here.... Peanut uses it occasionally.

Love self training kids. Wish my kids had done that! Maybe she should wear dresses for a while until she gets it down??