Thursday, May 28, 2009

Random Thoughts

Meimei has turned into The Beast again. Don't know what's going on, could be molars, could be growing pains or acid reflux, but she's been a complete basket case for 3 days. Wild screaming fits. Mood swings. Willful misbehaving. She's an imp, but she's usually not malicious about it. She purposefully dumped a cup of water on the table today and then pretended to drink out of the empty cup when I called her on it. Grrr.

I believe that my foot problems have developed into Plantar Fasciitis. Which is to say, my feet really hurt if I'm not wearing very expensive shoes. Many of my sandals either got worn to death last summer or are causing blisters, so I'm on the hunt for a new pair. I found a fabulous pair of Ettienne's that are a bit dressier in black, but I need a brown pair. I bought a pair of Borns, but I'm actually pretty unhappy with them. I might have to go buy the expensive pair. When I get paid again, I guess.

In the end, it's all another symptom of TFF. Too Fucking Fat. I'm up over 200 again because of our recent spate of fast food dinners. Ick. Nothing fits and my body can't take this.

I'm fighting off another viscious round of athlete's foot as well. I think I'm on the tail end of it now that I know specifically how to cure it when it gets that bad. And as an added bonus, my heels have been well-buffed and moisturized and my toenails are painted.

Product Plug: If you are looking for an awesome quick nail polish, try Sally Hansen's Insta Dry. It honestly goes on with one swipe, one coat, and dries in 60 seconds as promised. It will start wearing off in just a day or two at the tips of your nails, so it's not particularly long lasting, but if you're on your way somewhere and looking for a quick fix, this is the one. Not that I've ever polished in the car on the way to say, a wedding or anything.

Pants and I are looking into the purchase of a new water softener. We have a tiny bit of extra money from the garage sale/regular monthly budget, which could nearly pay off another credit card. However, our water softener doesn't work any longer so all of our dishes are covered in mineral deposits. You hate to invite anyone over when it looks like the glasses are covered in soap. So we're starting to feel that the water softener is a "must do now" project, but we don't want to skimp, either. We want to make a smart purchase, not just the cheapest purchase. In that vein, Pants also wants to replace the water heater with a tankless unit and move the water softener to where the water heater was. This turns a $600 project into a $2000 project, but I can't say he's wrong. It gives us more room in the laundry/utility room and makes the sink in there actually functional (currently the water softener is kind of in front of it, making it difficult to access). Plus, it's energy efficient, thus saving us money on our gas bill and getting us a credit on this year's taxes. But it means putting the purchases mainly on a credit card (which is running a deal for no interest for 12 months on appliances) and having another bill to pay.

But I'm really tired of our dishes looking gross and weird.

Oh. And we are now a nukkie-free household. Cold turkey.

3 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I hate when they go through those beast phases. Ug. Sometimes at our house more sleep helps - it's usually when we've been getting a little more lax about bedtimes for our girls...

Thanks for the nail polish tip. Is there a different way to do nails? Other than at the last minute?

Oh, I SO hear you on the "we need to do it now, but to do it right, then $$$$$$!" issues. We are there All The Time with this @#$%@#$ house.

Congrats on the no nuks anymore!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Peanut is back into the beast phase too. I thought they'd outgrow that once they hit elementary school, but she's been a bear tonight. Can anyone say early bedtime?

Ouch. Darn shoes fiascoes. So glad I don't have to worry about wearing nice looking shoes for work. One pair of tennys and one pair of sandals.

Wish we lived closer, I could use a good walking buddy. Cheesehead's not working out so well when he falls asleep right after dinner...

Nail polish? I don't think I've worn any since a funeral I went to a couple years ago.

I love the no interest no payments for a year thing. Pay the other card off, divide this one's payments into 12 equal payments and voila, problems solved? Okay, not always a perfect plan when you run into a glitch.... Just bought materials for a deck that way. Wonder how long it will take us to finish this project?

I had many friends go cold turkey on the nuks. Congrats.

Happy Veggie said...

How does that cold turkey thing work? Did you throw them all out at once so you couldn't cave? Did you tell them first? I need help. at this rate, she's going to be in college (and still in her crib)