Thursday, May 21, 2009

In the News

So, Minnesota still is a one Senator state. As opposed to a Senate race, Norm Coleman has decided to drag Minnesotans slowly, painfully, through an entire marathon. On our faces. Over a dirt road. Thanks Norm.

And at last count before the appeal was filed, Al Franken was ahead by 315 votes.

Governor Tim Pawlenty took the state budget and made some line item cuts to programs to keep the state on budget. He technically has the right, but it smacks of campaigning for 2012. Poorly. It seems quite early to start, especially with something so risky and which could backfire in a huge way. So, good luck with that Republican bid for president in 2012, Gov. Pawlenty. And best of luck in 2010 when the state and the country decide if you did something difficult but wise, or somthing that was clearly a transparent bid for a nomination that was too early and too cruel.

In other MN news, a mother has absconded with her 13-year old son, who suffers from Hodgkin's Lymphoma, because the state was going to force him to receive chemo and radiation. The family believes in "alternative" medicines, like vitamins, to cure cancer. She's on her way to Mexico with him to avoid chemo. A warrant has been issued for her arrest. This is sad. Doctors say this cancer is 90% curable with chemo and radiation.

But. This family, with two adult parents and a child who would be old enough for the court to ask who he wanted to live with if his parents were divorcing, can certainly make their own decisions. I'm actually a little embarrassed that the government is interfering (yeah, I'm still a democrat). I think this family should be able to decide to let their son die if they want to. Is it completely idiotic and tragic? Yes. But idiocy is not illegal in this country. I think it's wrong for the government to be involved.

3 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

I was totally on the family's side until the whole "but he can't read or write" thing came up. He doesn't have the education to be able to completely read or understand what is going on with him.

Right now, totally losing my normal pride about being a Minnesotan, thanks to all of the above.

Allknowingjen said...

I'm really torn about that poor kid too. On the one hand, she's his mother, so I believe that she is absolutely trying to protect him the best way she knows how. Chemo is hell- I honestly don't know that I could watch one of my children (god forbid) go through it. I don't even like to watch them get their shots. Some of the news coverage of it has been very "it's *just* chemo" - like it's a walk in the park, but it's no coincidence that he had one treatment before they decided to quit. Chemo can be very painful with a truckload of side effects and I can understand how it would be very difficult to watch your child suffer. (and not really know if it was going to work!)
On the other hand, I've also heard the illiterate thing, and the 90% cure rate, and a lot of it doesn't make sense. I can't imagine not doing chemo with a percentage rate like that.
And now I am out of hands, but I agree that the courts shouldn't be involved. Libertarians represent.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't think the government and courts need to be present in every situation either. It's just crazy. There's a family here in WI that's being tried for not bringing their daughter in for treatment of diabetes. Yes, it was tragic. I would have sought treatment. Should they be on trial for murder?

Seriously. Sometimes I wonder about priorities. Then there's my sister's kids who are old enough to decide where they want to live (not with their dad) and they won't be listened to. What's up with that?