Sunday, April 20, 2008

My first taste

This evening, I experienced my first taste of backlash against my Pure Romance business, and it's freaking me out much more than I expected.

I knew that I wouldn't get unconditional support for everyone. My MIL, although she would never say something to me directly, is less than pleased about my new business. (Death is not an option, mom, don't offer.) And I knew she would be not be thrilled, but I didn't think she'd be upset.

And I think what really upsets me is that I am fragile enough right now as it is. I am scared that this whole thing is going to tank and we'll be on the hook for a lot of money. And I hate to have someone rooting for that, or have anything less than complete confidence in me.

But, I guess not everyone is comfortable with what I have chosen to do. It's too bad she probably won't come to a show to experience the educational aspect of it, or see what happens in the ordering room where we actually answer serious questions women don't even talk to their best friends about. She would maybe see why I chose to do it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me guess. She's an older Christian woman who thinks a business like your promotes promiscuity?

Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit judgemental here. I COULD be completely off base!

What about those couples who have been together for years and are looking for a little interest. There is nothing wrong with sexuality and talking about it. Don't let her worry you, I'm sure you'll make up at least your initial investment. Just be careful not to go hog wild with trying to be able to show everything in the catalog. As soon as you have most of it, they'll change it on you! How do I know that? Um, I'm sure you already know the answer to that. (blush)

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I for one am proud of you for doing this. Sexuality is important, and natural, and would be well served to be rescued from skanky adult stores. I wish I were close enough to come to one of your parties.

(That being said, do you get credit if people order off the website or only when going directly through you?)

Happy Veggie said...

Fear and lack of understanding does powerful things. Its not like you're selling to high school kids, you're selling to married women primarily. I've apparently become a bit of a prude in my old age, but it doesn't mean I don't think it is a great idea. I'm just trying to figure out who I can refer to you...

Kashka said...

Tried to send you an e-mail late last week and it bounced, but first, thanks for the kind words, secondly, I have a story about all that that probably only you would find funny (having been there when my Mom wanted to send out that picture of all of us taken at Grandpa's funeral as Xmas cards), and thirdly, once I get my next contracting check, I'm putting in an order.

Pusher said...

I'm with Ms. Huis Herself. It's cool that you're doing this, and I think you're good at it.

Allknowingjen said...

It's just her catholic guilt talking. ;) Sorry she couldn't be more supportive about it. And another ditto for Ms H.
Also- it's not going to tank! It's just not. I know that feeling all too well, and scary is good because it's an excellent motivator, but really, give it some time and I bet you make back your investment and then some (though Cinj has excellent advice about not overstocking).

DiploWhat said...

Hang in there kiddo. I've always wanted to go to one of those parties. I bet Wog has too!