Monday, July 07, 2008

Moving up the list

I realized this morning that the upstairs bathroom remodel needs to move up the list.

It's not the green sink, tub, and toilet that bother me, the leaks, the flecked laminate countertop, or the 6 gallon flush (although we've been meaning to fix that anyway).

It's because this morning I brushed my teeth while Kitten stood on a stool and brushed hers and Meimei stood at my leg begging to brush hers too. This is cute today, but will be hell in the coming months and years.

I wish this meant just tearing out the vanity and having a plumber come and split the pipes and hook up two sinks instead of one. If it was this easy, I would plan it as a weekend project. Like this month.

But no. The floor is tiled up to the vanity but not under. And the wall is tiled about 4 feet up with a cutout over the sink (we assume for the mirror). So tearing out the vanity will at least leave a hole in the floor tile, if not the wall as well, although we don't know. The space involved means we have to either do something very creative, put in two small pedestal sinks, or recreate this look from Ikea (which I love).

To work with the space we have means we have to either live with the ugly, uneven floor (and possibly wall) or redo all the tile.

I need to win the lottery.

2 comments:

Pusher said...

At least Pants is a tiling pro so it can be a DIY project. I don't envy you though. Redoing bathrooms sucks (hence the still-untiled, cheap plastic shower surround in ours...).

Unknown said...

Hmm, did anyone win the powerball last night? I bought a couple of tickets. If I won I'll help you foot the bill! Speaking of which I should go and figure out what the winning numbers are.... Wouldn't THAT make a nice birthday gift????