Saturday, July 21, 2007

Unabashed Fan Love

A couple of weeks ago, Pants had me Tivo a movie (we are currently getting an introductory 3 months of movie channels) on HBO because he had seen a few minutes of it in the garage and knew he needed to see the whole thing if he was going to understand it.

On Tuesday, we watched the movie - Serenity. A little campy, but we enjoyed it.

So, Wednesday, I'm Qing Jaysan about his phone that won't work because his wireless company went bankrupt, and I tell him that I would have went all Reever on their asses. I personally think it's an obscure reference and he's going to answer with a "huh?" but I just saw the movie and I can't get the image out of my head.

But Jaysan doesn't flinch. So I ask him if he knows what I'm talking about, thinking I saw some obscure movie (I thought it was on SciFi). And Jay's like, "Um, yeah, I own that movie." So I tell him I liked it but I thought owning it went a little far. And he tells me he owns the series too.

There's a series? And he tells me it's Firefly. THAT'S FIREFLY??? And Jaysan is much amused by my naivety.

You see, I have been mocked before for not having seen Firefly. For not even knowing what it was. Most of the people I know have seen this and are devout followers.

So Jay and Ang arrange to come over and start viewings. And we watched the first 3 last night and the series is 37 times better than the movie. I LOVE IT!!

I liked the movie, but some of the writing was really hokey and the actors didn't really carry it off. But the series - the writing is tons better and funnier, the acting is better, oh my gosh I love it!!

So, this post is really to say you were all right about Firefly - it's fabulous. Some of the better comedy I've seen in a long, long time. And I am SO happy it's better than the movie. I was a bit concerned that all of you were this into something that cheesy.

8 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

LOL : ) Welcome to the club!
That should be some sort of secret code- if you can make a reever reference to a stranger and they know what you are talking about, then they are in. Us geeks have to stick together, you know?

Pusher said...

I can't guarantee it, but you might like Serenity more after seeing the whole series. The movie was made after the show was canceled, and it was a joint-purpose "Maybe we can get the show back if it's successful enough" and "If it's not, here's a big wet sloppy good-bye kiss to the fans." That second part means that if you hadn't seen the series first, there are a lot of parts of the movie that are going to have you wondering why you should care, and a lot of lines that were obviously supposed to be funny that wouldn't be if you didn't know they were throws to something that was in the series.

I'm so glad you're finally on board with the Firefly love though! I hope I can make the next viewing....

sullenfish said...

I agree with Pusher. Serenity will fall right into place after watching all the Firefly episodes.

And, of course, you should read the three issue comic book to find out what happened between the end of the series and the bulk of the events in the film.

That's all I'll say, lest I begin rambling on about my Nathan Fillion man-crush. And nobody wants that. Or, rather, virtually nobody wants that. (You know who you are.)

Happy Veggie said...

When I first started reading this, I was like, "There is another moving with the title Serenity, thats odd. " Because it really didn't seem possible that someone didn't know about the coolness that was Firefly and Serenity. Welcome to the club. Watched Eureka yet?

Pusher said...

Sullenfish, I'll see your Nathan Fillion man-crush and raise you girl-crushes on Gina Torres and Jewel Staite.

sullenfish said...

Pusher, I'll see your bet by adding Adam Baldwin to the pot.

I'm not sure what we're playing, but from the looks of things, we both win!

Pusher said...

...I'll be in my bunk.

Jaysan said...

Push,

FYI - Jewel Staite is now going to be a regular on Stargate Atlantis...