Saturday, May 31, 2008

The details

We don't know how Meimei broke her leg - happened at daycare, but it's clearly from twisting. Could be she caught a leg in the crib at nap time and tried to yank it out, or pitched one of her fits during a diaper change and twisted away. We don't think anyone did it intentionally and we will probably never know what really did it..

She is very angry that she can't walk and has a fiberglass splint on her leg. She wants it off. She didn't sleep last night AT ALL, but is starting to get used to it. She napped today and is down in bed now with not too much fuss.

I am also getting used to it. It was quite a blow last night to take her in for what we really thought was nothing because toddlers DON'T break bones. We thought maybe she had turned her ankle, or hurt her foot in some way.

The Nurse Practitioner said it was always a concern when a kid won't walk on a leg and that it probably wasn't an ankle, they're the most elastic joint in a kid's body. She ordered a blood draw to see if there were any inflammatory markers and x-rays of the whole leg to be sure.

Then I have to watch them try to take blood from Meimei's arm and keep moving the needle around because they couldn't get the vein. And have to hold her still for 4 x-rays while she was screaming and writhing in fear. And then be ushered into a scary room and have the NP shut the door to tell us it was broken and make veiled accusations about our daycare provider. Who I know will be crushed when we tell her and whom I would never EVER suspect of injuring her. And my MIL apparently picks up the veiled accusations against me and Pants because she starts defending us as parents.

Don't get me wrong, the NP was a very nice lady. They just have to be suspicious because toddlers rarely break anything - they're too elastic. I think she got that we didn't do it. I'm sure it was the broken, deer-in-the-headlights look on my face and the tears welling up in my eyes.
And the stammering.

She was very nice about cherry-picking an Ortho doctor and the medical assistant was normally a nurse in Ortho, so she got us a good appointment for Monday, which is pretty quick. She was very gentle with the splint and taped over the Ace bandage clips so Meimei couldn't pull them out. She was also very thorough in showing us the x-ray and what they had seen and told us that she had someone else look at it too, just to be sure.

So, the staff was excellent and very nice (phlebologist excluded), we got through really quickly, but major trauma and the weekend from hell. We hope that a regular cast will allow her to walk a bit and I hear that you can get them wet now. I think it's a fairly short cast time because the break is so minor and because little ones heal so fast. I don't know if I should try to skate out on Monday for the appt or if I should just let Pants take her. I'm not sure I'll be able to sit at work, even with the VERY engaging Brit in town that I have meetings with.

7 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Oh the poor thing! I'm sure you were just stunned to hear it was broken! At least they can get her in soon for the real cast. Good thing you brought her in!

As for Monday - are you somebody who will be thinking about it all day anyway or are you better off being elsewhere and thinking of other things? Based on your last sentence, it sounds to me like you'd be thinking about it all the time anyway, so you might just want to be there, you know?

Sending healing thoughts her way!

Jaysan said...

I'm sure SL will understand if you want to go with your girly.

Kashka said...

What an incredibly horrid thing. Nice to know that she's sleeping, but are you?

The phlebologists, in my experience, are always, pardon my French, shits.

Unknown said...

Poor thing. We had one toddler with a cast before. It was several years ago, like 5 or 6 maybe? It didn't seem like she had it on too long though. At least Meimei didn't break her hip. I imagine that casting will be easier than the girl who went to our day care's was. The doctors purposely broke her hip, although I can't recall the particulars of the situation.

You may as well take a pass on work, I mean will you even be able to keep your mind on your job anyway?

Happy Veggie said...

You are way more trusting than I would be, though we've already had some other issues with daycare.

Don't work, it will be better if you go with her, for a number of reasons, the least of which is your sanity.

Pusher said...

Holy crap! Poor Meimei! (And poor you & Pants too!) I hope she does indeed heal very quickly.

Allknowingjen said...

Hope the appointment went well- Did she get a cast? Hope she can get around a little better