Thursday, June 26, 2008

I hate balloons.

Just put the kids to bed, but they are screaming because I wouldn't let them bring the balloons they got at dinner. I was completely tense the entire ride home thinking Meimei would pop hers any second. I think they may meet a grim fate this evening in the garage. Damn restaurants that think it's a great idea to give out balloons. I hate you all!

In other news, I have an external ear infection (aka Swimmer's Ear) which apparently is accompanied by horrific vertigo. I got ear drops today, but not soon enough to avoid having to leave work early today because I couldn't string together a coherent thought besides, "Please, stop the spinning." Hoping tomorrow is better after 2 more doses of crap-killer.

Pants's truck was broken into and his satellite radio was stolen. And by "broken into," I mean he left it unlocked in our driveway. Still ballsy to come right up to our door and take it, but yeah, it was open. Guess we'll keep the cars locked from now on.

I think I figured out today, being at home in the afternoon, why it seems so stinking hot in here in the evenings. We were thinking the air was going kaput, which would seriously suck, but now I think it's just a combination of our poor insulation and windows, the massive amounts of heat coming in the patio door and the bay window in the afternoon, and setting the thermostat too high during the day and not giving it enough time to cool down for the evening. I'm going to adjust the thermostat settings and look into some low-e film on the patio door and windows and see if that helps. We already bought another ceiling fan for Meimei's room to keep her cooler at night (Kitten has one that runs almost constantly) and I may get a stand fan for the living room. Hopefully that will get us through another summer on the old unit.

4 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

Curtains for the patio doors? Ugly, but maybe needed?

Syl said...

We have blinds, but they're black aluminum. Yes, aluminum. And yes, BLACK.

But even the new cellular shades we ordered for the bay window aren't completely cutting the heat.

Happy Veggie said...

Yeah, leaving black blinds drawn would be better than having them up. You could always use my moms curtain solution. Nail a large blanket to the wall above.... Then you'd be patching it later, but it works.

Allknowingjen said...

In your own driveway? Man that sucks!