Monday, June 30, 2008

The plants I fell in love with

I'm sure by now you know that Pusher and I took the girlies to the Arboretum yesterday, and that inevitably I would fall in love with some items for my yard. The top contenders:


First, the Dr. Seuss garden contenders.

To the left here, we have Allium Sativum, or "Italian Early" Garlic. Fun, curly, and edible!




And we also have an onion, Allium coruleum.

I have a couple of flower bulbs in mind, too:

Eucomis comosa
Pineapple Lily
(not my photo)

and Crown Imperial
(also not my photo)


And then there's some of the burgundy/red group for the front:
Physocarpus opulifolus
Ninebark - Summer Wine
Which is quite a bit deeper burgundy
than this picture makes it look.










Foeniculum vulgare
Bronze Fennel
Gorgeous and edible


And the crowning glory:

Cotinus coggygria - Smokebush

4 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

Allium coruleum - Divider onions, took over my parents garden, like a weed. they're awesome.

Explain this Dr. Seuss garden idea please.

DiploWhat said...

I LOVE the idea of a Dr. Seuss garden! How wacky and wonderful.

Syl said...

DR. SEUSS GARDEN: Find the wackiest and most interesting plants, things you should only find in a Dr. Seuss drawing, and plant them together.

Unknown said...

Fun! I like the plants too. It's hard not to flip over plants sometimes. I have an award for you over on my blog, come check it out!