Sunday, March 15, 2009

Crazy Talk

I've been considering the concept that I might be what is known in some circles as "Soft Bipolar". It means that, although my depression and mania aren't as strong as classic bipolar diagnoses require, I'm still cycling through small manias and depressive episodes and am not being helped enough by a regular antidepressant.

I have always eschewed the idea of bipolar, saying I'm too lazy to have mania. Looking back, though, I can pinpoint periods of short episodes that I think are manic.

Like this one
.
Or this one, which, if my own blog is to be believed, lasted several days.

So, although they are few and far between and -never lead to me shaving my head (ok, well, that once), I might be having manic episodes.

3 comments:

DiploWhat said...

I don't know. Sounds to me like you just have typical wife/mother mental illness. That's where you go through spurts of "I can't stand this any more and must change it!"
I think if you really did have this problem, the espisodes would be far more common and more pronounced.
But, if you're really worried about it, you could always ask a shrink.

Unknown said...

I've got some bipolar and schizophrenic people in my family. I don't know.... I guess I do similar things, but I just sometimes get tired of looking at that ever growing list and get motivated to get stuff done.

Sometimes it's so darn hard to get off the couch to do anything that it really seems like an awful lot of work to get done when I get busy. I sometimes wonder if I'd benefit from a stronger dose though.

Jaysan said...

Honey, then we're all Soft Bipolars. Except for those people - you know who you are...