Sunday, March 01, 2009

Random Thoughts

I have 2 new-ish novels and am looking to trade for something else. Maybe Twilight? Hate being out of the loop.
  • The Spellman Files - Lisa Lutz - this was a fun read, but offbeat enough to be interesting.
  • In the Woods - Tana French - one of the best books I've read in many years. I was hooked in the first paragraph and it kept me through the whole thing.

We were contacted yesterday about some possible fraudulent charges on one of our credit cards and it turned out they were. Oddly enough, though, whoever used the card only charged about $60. Hmmm. We haven't received any more notices, but we'll be watching. In the meantime, we both went onto our Amazon accounts and deleted our stored payment options. Two of the charges were to them. The other three were $1.44 charges to New York Times Digital. Daily paper anyone?

Awesome. London has started to put in shoe vending machines around nightclub districts. You know, for women who are dying to take off their heels at the end of the night.

Damn, I think I'm getting athlete's foot again.

For my out-of-state audience, MN still only has one senator. Franken is up by 225 votes, but Coleman is dragging the issue out in court. This is the one reason the Dems don't have a 60 seat majority. No idea on when we might seat a second senator...

I have an appointment to get new glasses tomorrow. The pair I have (which I hate) popped the nose-piece out again and the screw disappeared. I could try to get them fixed, but it's been two years and I probably need a new pair. Cheap glasses don't really last more than 2 years, and quite frankly, this pair was barely good for 6 months. I'm torn on whether I should just go to Target, though, or if I should take my older Titanium pair that I loved and wore for 5 years to a more expensive place and just have the prescription updated. It will most certainly cost me around $50 at Target. Not sure what the cost will be at the other place, but may call them tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fraudulent charges? Eek. We just went through that too but the bank didn't catch it, I did. At least it was "only" one thing. It seems there's a lot of that going around....

What a hassle with the whole political thing. Cheesehead and I were just discussing that last night wondering if there was ever an outcome to that mess.

I'd go with getting a new rx for the good glasses, it won't cost as much AND it will probably last longer.

Did you ever stop by my blog and check out the potty training info I put up there for you?

Allknowingjen said...

Doh! I just lent my Twilight books to MIL. You can have them next if you don't get them somewhere else first.

Allknowingjen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DiploWhat said...

Had the credit card thing happen to me when we were in Korea. I'm pretty sure our housekeeper at the time sent out number to a friend of hers in Spain, but can't prove it. They maxed out our card with cash withdrawals. What really pissed me off was that the company never called me. They MAILED me a letter telling me I was over my limit!! Then, when I called, they didn't want to tell me any details about the charges (which, for me and my work, can be a big security clearence issue). Needless to say, we left that card company!