Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have pee.

Pants put Kitten in undie-wears this morning and she stayed dry, as usual, for a few hours. We were going to lay down for quiet time and I asked her if she wanted to go potty before we put a diaper on. She agreed.

Seemed like a bad sign that she wanted to sit down without taking her undie-wears off, but we took them off. It took her by surprise, but some pee shot out into the potty, mostly by accident. We had liftoff, though, which is really what I was looking for. Not scary, not pressured, totally safe, and incredibly praised.

So the plan is to clear her constipation out this week (again) and we have a good start on that this weekend. In a week or two, we will try the 3-day Potty-Training Solution (thanks, AKJ). If it doesn't work, we will put it on hold and try again in the summer. With the dresses. Again, thanks AKJ.

I also reviewed the website Ms. Huis Herself recommended, It's Not All Mary Poppins. I want to try her method with Meimei. Mary has the advantage of peer competition, which doesn't seem to be a factor in my house. With one going, however, it might become one. We can use the competition factor at that point to push Meimei into doing it, more or less on her own. That's her personality anyway - very much a "me do it" kid.

Whereas Kitten would still be in her crib sucking formula from a bottle if we let her.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! That's a step in the right direction. I bet it won't take much with the potty training if she stays dry for such long periods of time. It's a matter of getting her to figure out what it feels like when she needs to go. She's a smart kid, so she shouldn't have too much trouble getting it figured out. Son did that too, but had more trouble with the other aspect of potty training. At least that's done much less often.

Kashka said...

Heck, I'd still be in a crib if I could've gotten away with it.

Allknowingjen said...

Yay for pee! :) Fair warning, while the pee training went fairly quick here- it did take a little longer for poo. Apparently that is pretty common. We did pull-ups for naps/night time and she would just wait to go in those.

Unknown said...

Sorry, I don't want to be all nosy about the way you choose to potty train but I had an extremely weird dream last night that made me think I should contribute more towards you decision making process. Okay, I don't want to write a book here. Can you email me so I have your email address again? My other computer is completely out of commission.