Monday, February 02, 2009

The result

The insurance company has totaled up the removed trim, the small section of removed drywall, the 2 pine boards that were ruined from the ever-so-attractive paneling, and the bench that I agreed to remove myself and be paid for. If we replace it, there's an extra $1000 in it for us. It's custom, you know.

With all of the structural payments, we basically covered the deductible plus $300. I haven't been paid yet for some receipts and we haven't put in our losses for personal items yet, but it's not exactly enough to re-frame and insulate three rooms of the basement. On the bright side, I didn't have to put the deductible on a credit card, either. Plus we still have payments coming to replace the flooring.

So. Can anyone give me some instruction on framing a few walls? I think I can figure out the insulation and drywall, but I'm not sure where to start with the framing. And if anyone wants to come over with a sledge hammer, I have a bench and some closet walls that need knocking out.

5 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Hey, custom bench = nice! (Ha!) Take that $1000 and laugh!

From what I hear, framing's not so terribly hard - NOT THAT I'VE DONE IT so, you know, bear that in mind. Mr. Kluges's best man and his dad completely framed in and did the basement at their old house. I'd recommend the library for a few research books - you can probably search & put it on hold on-line, then just swing by and pick it up in a few days when it's in.

Good luck! Mr. Kluges loves demolishing, but not enough for a 5 hr each way drive. Sorry. :)

Unknown said...

Cheesehead has framed three basements, it's not that hard.
I can ask him for specifics for you. I'll make a post about it a little later. He SHOULD be coming home soon.

The books in the library are also very helpful, most libraries have an abundance of remodeling basements books so I'm sure that they can't all be checked out. You do know you only have to insulate the outside walls, right? I think you should probably come out pretty close if you wait for the materials to go on sale. I'm pretty good at being cheap you know....

Is the existing framing rotten? If it's only wet I'd carefully take it out and let it dry and reuse it. Then you'd only have to buy insulation, plastic, and drywall. Maybe I'm just being crazy?

We have lots of fun with deconstruction but like Ms. Huis I don't think we can make the 5 hr drive.

I installed the insulation in our current basement, also not hard.

Unknown said...

Okay, I wrote that post I was talking about for you. Sorry, my camera wouldn't cooperate with me, so no pictures could be included for clarification. :(

Syl said...

Thanks to your suggestions, I have reserved two books at the library on framing. And yes, it's just the outside walls, so 2 walls in each room.

ShoNuff said...

Framing is easy, robustity has a framing nailer that would make it faster for you. Make rectangle then nail... every sixteen inches.