Sunday, February 08, 2009

Updates

Pants is home, but pulled the Sunday shift, so he's working today.

Pants brought souvenirs for everyone, but was careful on the money. I got Costa Rican coffee. The girls each got some shells from the beach, some rocks, some Costa Rican money, and they each got a wooden necklace. The money, in total, might be worth $1. He was not thrilled about the necklaces, which he thought he was getting 2/$5 but it turned out to be one necklace twisted into 2 layers, so he bought another. He also took headphones from the airplane for both of them.

I went out to Barnes & Noble last night to read magazines. I hate the idea, but everyone else was there doing it and the library closes at 6 on Saturdays. I looked through personal finance books, the clearance sections, and the magazines, but walked out without buying anything, including this week's People. I actually took out a pen and a scrap of paper and copied recipes for laundry soap and dishwasher soap out of a book.

Plus, I was dying for a cheeseburger again and thought it wouldn't hurt if I just stopped at McDonald's on the way home, seeing as I hadn't eaten much dinner and all. Surely it wouldn't be that bad. But, as I sat at B&N, I thought about th $60 I was trying to live on for 2 weeks, the $30 I had already spent at a work thing with my team Friday afternoon, and the cost of riding the bus for the next 3 weeks for training. I did not stop. Maybe if I make it until the 20th on what I have I will go to McDonald's and blow the rest.

It just occurred to me I could buy one cheeseburger for $1.29 and not the whole meal. Hmmm. Being cheap may make me resourceful.

4 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I am very impressed with your will power. Walking out of a store empty handed, though I certainly do it on occasion, just feels so strange. Good for you!!!

Allknowingjen said...

You definitely need to reward yourself if you get to a certain point/date. Doesn't Mr Ramsey even say that you need to have some fun money built in to your budget?? (I haven't read it, but that is what I've heard)

Unknown said...

Congratulations. I know it feels a bit strange at first, but after a while you get used to it.

I have splurged on occassion at Mc Donald's on a sandwich off the $1 menu. I have a glass of water to go with it. No fries makes the splurge fit into the diet a bit better, though having the will power NOT to splurge is even better.

Allknowingjen said...

Also, you should post those soap recipes!