Friday, July 24, 2009

A new wrinkle

As of today, I have 13 days until I return to the doctor and start physical therapy. My disability will run for one additional week (unless I still can't put pressure on my knee, I imagine).

Meaning that I have less than 3 weeks before I will return to work.

While the idea of having something to do during the day fills me with utter glee, I suddenly realized this evening that I'm not sure what I'm going to wear. That might seem silly - many of you have seen me out and about with actual clothes on.

My office is business casual, but my team usually gets away with jeans on most days. However, the extent of my current ass-covering wardrobethat fits over my bulky isolation cast includes two pairs of nylon running shorts, two pairs of pajama pants, one pair of knee-length sweat pants, and one pair of very casual knee-length pants that look like cut-off sweats. When I'm not out and don't expect company, I can usually be found in a nightgown or pajamas of some sort (so call if you're coming, I'm just saying).

Of the items I have, I think only two are truly work appropriate - the pink sweatpants and the blue pajama pants. I might be able to squeeze in the black sweats that look like cutoffs, but that's stretching the office dress code, even for me.

So here I sit, suddenly wondering what I'm going to wear on my return to work in three weeks. I browsed around the internets for dresses but it seemed expensive and impractical to fill out my wardrobe with a bunch of dresses I can only wear once. If I opt for pants, I'm would have to cut the left leg off each pair so they will go over my cast.

So my options are:
  • a couple of versatile skirts, although I'm going to have to wear shorts underneath so my thighs don't light on fire on my way in from the parking ramp.
  • More basic pajama pants like these - although I have them in blue and the only other appropriate option is black.
  • Gauchos - are these still in?
And that's all I could find. Any suggestions, internet? I have a limited budget and one big, fat leg. And although I can't weigh myself, I can only assume my butt is growing as I speak.

6 comments:

DiploWhat said...

In my opinion, illness and various mechanical devises attached to your body over rule any work dress code. Personally, I love it when I see someone in a nice shirt and then wearing sweats because they have a cast on. It's just funny what we do for work dress codes. But, it's not like the boss has any right to get upset.
Any chance of finding some cheap capri's at Kohls or the like? I usually have luck on their site and the Lee's tend to run wide in the leg. I love Lee. Or, some cheap khaki's that you could cut one leg off and then after all this could turn into shorts?

DiploWhat said...

In my opinion, illness and various mechanical devises attached to your body over rule any work dress code. Personally, I love it when I see someone in a nice shirt and then wearing sweats because they have a cast on. It's just funny what we do for work dress codes. But, it's not like the boss has any right to get upset.
Any chance of finding some cheap capri's at Kohls or the like? I usually have luck on their site and the Lee's tend to run wide in the leg. I love Lee. Or, some cheap khaki's that you could cut one leg off and then after all this could turn into shorts?

Allknowingjen said...

Yes, gauchos are still in - though more as casual/yoga wear ( which I agree with Diplo is totally acceptable here) Target has jersey skirts and gauchos in a couple of colors (gray, black + brown I think). With capris you could maybe just slit the outside seam? If you had/found some with a wider leg?

Unknown said...

I think a run around the dress code wouldn't be totally frowned upon but I'd go with capris or skirt options. I like skirts since they're versatile and would be easier to fit over large casts without extra work.

Happy Veggie said...

What size are you dear? I may have stuff that would work, and would be free. Specifically some skirts and/or gaucho type things.

Jaysan said...

Dude, no one will give a shit what you wear at work. Half of our floor violate the dress code EVERY DAY!