Monday, July 13, 2009

The surprises continue

Yeah, check the time on this post. What is Syl doing up, you ask? Syl asks herself the same question. I took an expired Unisom over an hour ago and still can't sleep. Last night's pill knocked me out flat. Damn expiration dates.

The main problem is my leg, of course. After the surgery, parts of my leg were almost completely numb - side affect from getting the plates in place. The nerves got jumbled or nicked and those areas went numb. Doc said I might always be just a bit numb right around the incisions, but whatever.

What I hadn't planned on really was those numb places to start coming back to life. They aren't whistling and skipping happily back, either. They are pissed off. I can still feel the numbness under the skin in those spots, but the skin itself feels like a 3rd degree razor burn and anything brushing against it is annoying as hell. It feels like I'm covered in ants.

Additionally, the muscles and fascia underneath the skin are coming back, albeit more slowly, so I get tingles up and down my leg as those parts test themselves out. I know that you know what it feels like to have your hand go numb and then wake up. It's a milder version of that, but it lasts for hours, days, weeks.

When I was pregnant, I had Restless Leg Syndrome. In fact, we guessed The Hammer's due date by when I started having RLS and it was eerily accurate (I think they ended up changing it by 3 days). This is like having much more persistant RLS, but on one side. It strikes mostly at night when I'm trying to sleep and makes it nearly impossible. I am trying to do some autogenic relaxation, which helped when I was pregnant, but I think I need to get the CD out again. Going through it in my head just isn't cutting it anymore.

So, tomorrow's list:
  • Tylenol PM
  • Move the CD player to my rolling fun cart
  • Send Pants to hunt down my relaxation CD downstairs
It has to be better than taking expired sleep aids that will decide on their own when and how they will work.

3 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

That sounds horrendously annoying and extra bad when you're trying to sleep! Ug! Good luck with the CD - hope it helps!

Pusher said...

Ugh. I can't even imagine. Three cheers for Tylenol PM!

Unknown said...

Oh, that's not cool at all. Is there a wrap you can put on it to keep a constant feeling on it? Maybe it won't be quite as horrible?