Saturday, February 20, 2010

Indie hell

It's hard to find a lot of flicks in the On Demand section of Netflix, but I did put a bunch of indie films in it. I guess those are more readily releasable on demand.

My first film this evening was How to Be, billed as a British indie comedy starring Robert Pattinson. I love nifty little British comedies, so I thought it would be funny in a dry, British way. Except it wasn't funny at all, the sound sucked (like it was filmed by college students and I think you know what I mean), and I shut it off after half an hour when I didn't really know what was going on and REALLY didn't care.

I moved on to The Cake Eaters, an American indie from 2009 with Kristin Stewart and many way better actors. I figured as long as I was going with a theme, you know. And also, I love me some Jesse L. Martin. So Kristen, even playing a disability, wasn't awful and I didn't completely hate her. Definitely watchable, my favorite kind of indie - quiet, introspective, subtle.

2 comments:

ShoNuff said...

"Greenfingers" is a good movie (Clive Owen and Helen Mirren) that is on demand. It might get you ready for spring?

Kashka said...

I tend to watch a lot of TV via On Demand. Also, Cool Hand Luke is available on there (last time I watched it, anyway).