Monday, February 22, 2010

Rachel Getting Married

Wow. This is the first movie from this whole experience that I might actually watch again. I didn't like the documentary-style filming, but it didn't matter halfway through the movie. I didn't even notice that Anne Hathaway was Anne Hathaway.

It's the story of an addict getting out of rehab for her sister's wedding. What an incredibly awful idea, that - attending any kind of major family function where there are social standards to be upheld when everything emotion you've suppressed is right at the surface. And what an awful place for the sister - knowing you have to invite a seriously fucked up family member to an event that should be about you and that you KNOW will become all about her, just like the rest of your life.

Parts of the movie were terribly awkward and I almost stopped watching. Parts were extremely painful. I don't know what the experience of the movie would be if you didn't grow up in a house with an addict, but I think the Oscar nod for Hathaway was deserved. But I think half the cast deserved one. Well done.

2 comments:

DiploWhat said...

just saw an add for this on HBO - looked good.

Unknown said...

It sounds like a good movie. Lots of families have someone in the family like that too. What I'd like to know is how do you find time to watch as many movies as you do?