Sunday, March 04, 2007

Do I hear 5?

I think I'm getting another cold. And I think one or both girls are also coming down with it, on account of the sleeping and general crabbiness.

Meimei is teething, in her genial little way. She's turning over from her back now and really looks like she wants to crawl. She's going to be mobile much sooner than Kitten was.

Kitten got to try out the naughty stool today. Twice. This is why I believe she is getting ill, this and the general tiredness she has been showing the last two days. She's been exhausted. Which just makes her more mischievious. I caught her pouring water out of her cup onto the floor.

On the other hand, I took Kitten's diaper off tonight, asked her not to go potty, and she went straight into the kitchen and did a little dance in front of the stove. When I asked what she was doing, she told me "potty". So I guess it's clear now that she knows what I am talking about when we discuss potty. Time to get a potty chair.

Anyone have an opinion on potty chairs as opposed to the rings you put on top of your regular toilet?

6 comments:

Kashka said...

Funny, but that's also exactly what I do when someone says "potty".

Anonymous said...

I can only speak to the potty training of kittens, as opposed to Kitten. And I do no recommend the ring on top of the regular toilet. Especially not if your kitten has been using the "potty" on the floor just fine. You'll have to scope and change the litter and all that, but at least your BFK will be going potty, and doing so in an appropriate place.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

The rings on top have the advantage of no-post-pee/poop-cleanup, but the smaller ones might be less intimidating & are easier for them to use themselves. *shrug* Pumpkin knows what they're for, has used either a couple of times, and is perfectly happy to keep going in her diapers... and I'm not ready to take that on right now!

Happy Veggie said...

I haven't seen the on the toilet ones used, but the smaller low to the ground ones have the advantage of being their size, and not hard to get on in a hurry. I've watched and helped with a number of toilet trainings using those.

Syl said...

Don't get me wrong, we're not going at this full bore, like we're going to get her trained now now now, we just want to start easing into it since she's so interested in the potty and she clearly knows what potty is and can't wait to go when her diaper is off. I don't want to come off as one of those super-pushy moms that wants their kid potty-trained by age 2. Or by 10 months, as is the new trend. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

It's always a very good idea to start early as opposed to when they are almost in kindergarten. I have talked to several parents who feel that 2 and 3 year olds are too young for such stuff. While many of them may not be completely ready to express to you that they are going to go pee or poop, they can certainly pee or poop on the potty if they sit on the potty at the right times. I have had much success with potty training. When I worked in the toddler room, there wasn't one child who moved up to the preschool room at age 3 who had consistent accidents, I just had to remind them to go try.

I really liked the potty chair when I trained my 40+ toddlers at the day care. Most of the children were much more comfortable sitting on the low potty chairs as opposed to the real toilet. They also didn't need as much help so they could be a little more independant in their business. Also, there was much more peeing on the floor when they were on the big potty. They actually had to aim, no matter what their sex, they could sure pee on the floor on the big potty without proper body alignment.