Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Letters to Washington

Dear Senator Klobuchar,
I have been following some of the healthcare debate and, although I have excellent health care provided through my husband's employer, I beg you to vote yes for a public option.

I broke my leg very severely 7 weeks ago, requiring surgery, a three-day hospital stay, and I am still at home recovering on my employer's excellent disability benefits.

I have been uninsured, though, and if this had happened then I would most definitely have had to file for bankruptcy or live with the debt for the rest of my life.

I cannot be the only person who thinks that a public option would stem the flow of medical bankruptcies and crushing debt. I cannot be the only person who thinks that access to healthcare might stem the tide of unintended pregnancies and that regular checkups for children might detect more child abuse.

Senator Klobuchar, I am well insured and I would like others to have that opportunity. Please vote for a public option so that those who do not have employer-provided insurance may spend less time and money worrying about their basic needs and more time contributing to the health and welfare of their families and this country.

Syl

I have emailed the same letter to Senator Al Franken and Congressman Erik Paulsen. I urge everyone to contact their senators and representatives to express their opinion on the public option. Whatever that opinion is, please express it logically and respectfully. I have seen too much impassioned fear-mongering to last me a lifetime.

4 comments:

Kashka said...

That's a great letter. I really hate what passes for discourse in our country on this issue.

Unknown said...

I like reasonable people when they express their opinions in a straight forward kind of way. I guess I have heard that the public option is the way Canada's system got it's start. On the surface it sounds good but I don't want to go the way of these other countries.... I think reform really needs to go further than a public option.

Syl said...

I agree - I don't think a public option is the end-all solution. It's the option on the table right now, though, and I remember all too well the 18 months I was uninsured. Too old for medicaid, too young for medicare, too poor for any private option. I was lucky enough that nothing major happened and that I had no pre-existing conditions when I did finally get a job with good insurance.

Pusher said...

Amen.