Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Random Thoughts

Sitting here on the couch, again, with the ice machine strapped to my leg.

I was given a small igloo cooler in the hospital with a pump attachment and a pack attachment. When you fill the cooler with ice and water, the pump circulates the cold water through the ice pack, keeping whatever body part it's strapped to icy cold for a LONG time. I used it at the beginning every day and now that I've been doing PT and nightly exercise, I've been using it again. It's a pretty cool machine, actually. I had been considering donating it to the high school or something when I was done, but Pants has talked me into keeping it for future sprains, injuries, etc. With our genes, our children have already been through the emergency room once each with major injuries and lord knows what the future holds.

I've made great progress in PT, pedaling the exercise bike all the way around (instead of back and forth to the stopping points in my knee) and walking completely around the office on one crutch only. I have 102 degrees of bend in my leg, but the straightening was not improving as much. My PT lady put her hands on the top of my leg, on either side of my knee, and pushed. OW. On my direction, she found a spot on the side of my knee that appears to have some scar tissue and is keeping my leg from straightening all the way. She she took out what amounts to a big plastic knuckle and said, "This is going to hurt." I'll spare you the details, but it did. My leg does straighten out farther now, though.

I skipped exercises Sunday and felt way stronger on Monday. I guess my poor muscles needed a day off.

I put jeans on today and had to put on a belt. On the fourth hole in. Hollah!

I had to go out in the rain today to run an errand for Pants. I don't go out in the rain much now because I'm too slow and don't have an umbrella hand, but there I was. And when I got to Pants' car, what do you know? The window was down a couple of inches. And it had been raining all day. Between going all the way back to the house for a towel and just getting in, I got in. So I spent the next 90 minutes in wet pants. For an errand that wasn't even mine.

We told the kids this morning we had an adventure tonight because Jeff James, Pants' college roommate, was supposed to play at Acapulco in Coon Rapids. He got canceled today, though, and we had already promised the kids an adventure. So we went to Dave & Busters. Dinner was expensive, although they were lightening fast with the kids' meals and had Happy Hour specials on Mojitos, so yay. And then off to the games. Pants had some credits on some old D&B cards, which is the only reason we went there and we played some simple games with the kids. We had enough tickets for them each to get a small stuffed piece of crap. And then we had to drag The Hammer out kicking and screaming because it was late, they were tired, and she didn't want to go.

But they totally fell into their beds when we got home with very little fight.

Still no call from Disability saying it's okay to come back to work. My doctor approved it, why won't they??

3 comments:

Syl said...

Oh, and my not-yet-three-year-old got a coin down a moving chute and into a slot not much larger than said coin to win 300 tickets at D&B's. I could not do that if I tried.

Kashka said...

I don't think I've seen Free Range The Hammer. But I love that it seems to be much what I would imagine.

Syl said...

Oh yes, it's exactly as you imagine. We try to keep her out of the general public - you never know what/who will end up damaged.