Monday, August 03, 2009

Random Thoughts - Busted Leg Updates

It has occurred to me that my leg is no longer tingling uncontrollably and sending odd sensations all over the place. Now, I can't sleep because I'm bored to death and my couch is trashed.

So I took the opportunity, since my leg isn't burning uncontrollably anymore, to shave my legs the other day. I'm still afraid to shave too close to the scars so there are a couple of spots I missed. It's easier now that I can bend my leg a bit in the shower.

I currently have the ability to perform a 90 degree bend in my leg, which was my goal before this week's appointment. My CPM machine went back 2 weeks ago and now I get to bend my knee on my own. I also have improved my ankle flex to at least 90 degrees so I can walk again. My leg won't go as flat as the other, but if you looked at it by itself, it would look pretty close.

I still have a few places on my lower leg that are all but completely numb and I am assuming now that they will probably stay that way. Not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things, and definitely something that I can live with, if not get used to.

My questions for Dr. Pittman:
  • Can I drive? He has never specifically told me not to drive, but I just assumed it would be a bad idea. I now have a temporary handicapped parking sticker and would like to be able to drive.
  • How much longer will I need to wear the cast? And if I need to continue wearing it, can I take it off when I sit for long periods, like in the car, at work, or in the wheelchair?
  • Will I keep the crutches during physical therapy or will I get something else, like a cane or a walker?
  • Can I get some kind of card for metal detectors?
  • Can I start rubbing a scar healer on the incisions, like Mederma?
  • Is the remaining numbness permanent?
  • How exactly will the cadaver bone resolve itself? Will it "work its way out" or will it dissolve?

5 comments:

Jaysan said...

You almost forgot to ask if you and you're friends can stalk dr pittman.

Pusher said...

I really, really, really hope the answer to that last one is "dissolves." Keep us updated! I want to know the answer to those questions too.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Ooh! Oooh! I know! You should ask if you can take his picture and post it on your blog 'cuz all your friends want to know exactly how stalkable Oh Dr. Pittman really is! ;)

Kashka said...

If the answer is "cane", will you get one with flames on it like House?

Syl said...

I have a feeling it will be more of the 4-footed metal variety. But I might look online for something cooler...