Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Redesigning my basement

Pants has gotten moving on demolishing our basement and it started to become apparent to me that I have no vision for what I want to do down there. We might be mere weeks from painting and we're starting to talk about furniture and such and I have no idea where I want to go with any of these things.

Considerations:
  • We have a large brown brick fireplace that we love and which will be staying, unaltered. I will try to post a photo tomorrow.
  • Although there is one largish window, it's still a basement. I think we need to keep it light.
  • I have kids, ergo, the carpet will be a bit darker shade and all furniture decisions must weigh that factor.
  • We have little money and Pants is incredibly cheap. My mother has offered to purchase a daybed for the basement so they can stay here when they come.
I've been looking for something to build an idea around and the best I've found is this painting. I like the blues and greens and browns and I think it gives me a lot of options for incorporating shades of those into the room.

Better ideas? Better art? Anyone? Help?

P.S. - the barn door and track is gone and has been replaced by an actual door leading to the well. Pants has also gotten the entire drop-ceiling down, but has discovered that the can lights were never secured to the studs, they were just resting on the ceiling tiles. Brilliant.

9 comments:

Kashka said...

I was so scared to click on that link, because I feared it might be a Monet. But I should really know better. I think it's lovely, and yes, stay away from cave-like anything.

Syl said...

You will not find many people who hate Monet as much as I do. FU, girl with watering can!!

Kashka said...

Get bent, haypile!

Syl said...

And once again we prove the weird efficacy of the Drinker/Smoker form.

Allknowingjen said...

Which way does the window face? Have you heard the cool/warm thing? That if the window faces south or west you can do a cool tone and still have a warm room because the light is warm. And doing like, yellow, in a west/south room is overkill.
Likewise, if you have north or east facing light, you probably want to go with a warmer color.
Just something to consider. I like the painting though- I think it's a great start!

Syl said...

That is so cool, and the window is west-facing, so that totally works with my colors.

I've never heard of that but it totally works with the decorating I had planned.

Anonymous said...

I like the painting but it seems not very manly. Have you looked at the Bierstadts? I think Pants might like them.
M

Syl said...

Holy crap! Loving this:
http://www.artchive.com/viewer/z.html

Syl said...

That didn't work. Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/nxlang