Friday, August 07, 2009

Rusty Machinery

My body is no longer a well-oiled machine.

Ok, let that sink in and try to stifle the giggles. Yes, get up off the floor. I'm sorry I made you pee a little.

What I mean is that all of the muscles in my left leg have atrophied to the point of flabby and I started physical therapy today to get them back into shape and continue to increase the bend in my knee. I spent 45 minutes with a nice chick who did some very simple exercises with me and printed them out so I can keep doing them at home.

And I got down on the floor tonight to do them and found that I am so sore and stiff that I can barely move. Now, I maybe overdid it a little bit at Target (ok, I needed a playground ball for a couple of the exercises and a backpack purse to carry my stuff), but holy crap am I sore. And I have a couple of sensitive spots where the plates are rubbing.

It also turns out that putting your foot down while walking on crutches, as opposed to walking on one leg with the affected leg out up and out of the way, changes the arm and shoulder muscles used while walking with crutches. Cuz, dang, those hurt too.

On the upside, I did get to run a couple of errands and see a movie today (HP6). I went without the popcorn and slushie - no hands for carrying them. I also got up the front step at home by myself, since my physical therapist said it could be done without a railing and told me she would show me on Monday. Knowing that was possible then, and indeed, totally plausible, I just up and did it.

Additionally, I purchased a handle to screw into the door frame since the step up into the door is a taller step and harder to get into. The handle, a $3 modification that even comes with its own screws, will allow me to use a crutch on one side and pull myself up with the other hand.

So now I can get back into my own house, as well as out. And in and out of the car. And into the movie theater (although some bastards took the handicapped seats in front of the railing).

And I have asked to return to work on Monday, August 17. Of course, Dr. Pittman is out of the office all next week and the return call from the clinic came just as the movie was starting, so I won't know anything until Monday at least, if then. Based on today's activities, I think I can make it to work from the parking ramp, which is the hold up. It's not like we're running marathons in there.

2 comments:

Kashka said...

But...but...I designed a handrail for you! (I'm kidding -- I'm very proud of you for working it out.)

Unknown said...

Yay. You didn't even fall down? I totally would have!