Friday, October 02, 2009

4 weeks

It's been a long week. I was really disappointed on Monday with my leg progress - I was so sore, leaning on my cane a lot. I spent the weekend in unbearable sciatic pain and it felt like my leg had a hangover. On Tuesday morning I went to PT and talked about the disappointment and the regression and it occurred to me that my soreness might have been from the furniture moving. I didn't tell my therapist.

The soreness lasted through Wednesday, but since yesterday I have been walking on my leg without a cane on and off, mostly without a limp. It has felt surprisingly normal. Very little residual weirdness once I get moving.

I thought about it today and it's been four weeks since I was given full weight-bearing permission on my leg. It surprised me that it's been so little time and I felt like I have actually come a really long way. It's been hard work and I'm not fully back to normal yet, but I've gotten pretty far.

The hardest thing to get used to is the up and down of it all. I thought recovery would be a straight line, steadily moving upward. It's actually been a series of back and forth, up and down movements, with the progression eventually moving up and forward, but in a really convoluted way. Like my nav system was programmed by a paranoid schizophrenic - eventually I'll get there, but we have to go in the most circuitous route in case we're being followed.

Um, did I just break into plural?

1 comment:

Allknowingjen said...

Woo hoo! Yay for mostly normal :)
Now, my voice of experience would like to speak; Don't stop doing your PT stuff until they tell you to. Keep working on it until it is normal all the time (even when moving furniture, or jumping, or other normal but not typical behavior) The last thing you need is a bum leg that "acts up" when you overdo something. And you don't want to end up revisiting your PT 6 months or a year from now. Trust me, BTDT, not fun. But it sounds like you are recovering really well! :)