Sunday, October 25, 2009

My 20 Gallon Project

Remember how I wanted to be a fish owner? Pusher and Puck offered us their fish tank, which had been sitting in their garage since they took it off AKJ and Dude's hands. So, rather than a little, tiny, 1-fish tank, we are now full-fledged owners of a 20-gallon aquarium.

It's a complete system, though, and quite nice. It looked way too complicated at first, but once I started cleaning the pieces and putting it back together, I figured it out. It came with a heater, filtration system, hood with light, and supplies. We went out this evening and bought new tubing, air stones, and gravel (bye bye turquoise!) so we could get the tank set up and have it running for a day before we get fish.

But guys, what was with the laughably wee plants and stuff? All of the decoration that came with it, which is what I assume y'all had in the tank when you used it, are WAY too small for the size of the tank. The plants don't even come halfway up! The lighthouse, as described by Kitten, is a "teeny castle". I'm going to have to purchase a couple new items that are a bit more to scale for a 20 gallon setup.

Still, a great deal. Thanks to everyone. Pics to come when it's ready and has fish.

Conversation of the day:
Pants: Let's get one of those fish. I like the price.
Syl: We're going to have a thousand dollar setup and 27 cent fish?
P: They just die anyway!

4 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

Or they'll totally live forever until you kill them accidentally in your basement.... Just sayin'

Allknowingjen said...

LOL! I am glad it's got a good home ;) I got that tank as a gift back when I was a nanny. It came as a "complete" set in a box and I am pretty sure that included the plants and such. Though I can't remember if it had the rocks too or not. Those may have been selected by a 6 and 4 yr old. It makes a nice soothing sound though doesn't it?
Hope your new fish love it- can't wait to see pics!

Pusher said...

20 gallons? Really? Huh. I didn't realize it was quite that big or I would've warned you. :-) Very glad it's finally being used -- we could just never figure out a place for it. I'm looking forward to pics!

Pants does make a valid point.

Unknown said...

The bigger the better, right? It will be much easier to keep clean than the smaller tanks. I had some tetras in my tank. They were pretty but not too expensive. You'd be surprised how long the fish will last if you get them young and take care of them. Guppies are always fun and educational too. Live bearing fish cause much excitement with my kids. Why else would a fish owner end up with so many tanks? I had a 25 gallon that I sold at a garage sale, using a 10 gallon, have a 5 gallon and two 1 gallon. Yeah, don't even ask! Now I wouldn't care if those babies got eaten by the parents. Lots could have been said about buying them stuff to hide in...