Friday, October 30, 2009

Leggy update

Back to Doc P today for a checkup - he took new x-rays and said they looked the same, so all the new movement isn't bothering it any. He was impressed that I could bend my knee as far as I can (117 degrees bend just by pulling it back with my leg muscles, and I can get to 130 degrees if I actually grab my foot and pull it back - the other leg goes to 135 degrees). He also said he thought I was farther ahead than he would have guessed at this point. I don't have to go back for 6 months.

Not that I'm entirely healed, but he said the rest of it would just take time. I walk unassisted and usually don't look like a total gork. Sometimes I even look like I'm walking normal. My left leg is still weaker than the right and you can really see the weakness when I walk up and down stairs. They had me jog in place for 30 seconds on Monday and I've been sore all week. But I didn't fall over and die, so there's that. Anyway, Dr. P said most of the rest would take time to come back. I can quit PT anytime considering my progress, even though I'm not 100% yet.

Conversation of the week:
New PT lady: So is there anything you still can't do?
Syl: Well, I can't run.
NPTL: [looks at me suspiciously] Did you before?
S: No, I don't mean like a marathon. I mean I can't run. Like ever. Like to avoid oncoming cars. Ever.

Smartass.

3 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

You know, that garden-variety, car-avoiding, catch-something-falling sort of running is all too often ignored, in favor of its flashier sibling.

Kashka said...

She should've known that if you were doing schtick, you'dve said, "Playing the violin." Sigh. No one today remembers the classics.

Allknowingjen said...

It's like Auntie Kashka can read my mind. Ditto.
And I didn't see you walk all that much, but it did look totally normal. Yay!