Sunday, November 01, 2009

Random Thoughts

My costume last night didn't pull off as well as I had hoped - I couldn't find my ice skates and it's not nearly as funny to show up as Nancy Kerrigan without Pants walking around behind me with a tire iron. I did get to explain to several people why the limp is my own, though. And Puck had my back on the explanation - he voluntarily glowered over me several times through the evening.

On a related note, my ass wasn't nearly as awful in the tutu as I imagined it would be...

It's official, I hate daylight savings time. And Halloween candy. The Hammer threw up all night last night and the kids were running around like wild animals all day. I finally took them out into the back yard to try to run them around a little bit. It turns out Kitten is a bit of a runner, The Hammer is aces at shooting baskets, and they can both catch a ball fairly well. Nice surprise in a day full of yuck.

I didn't expect to need a second set of sheets for The Hammer's new "big girl bed" just two days after installing the first set, but had to go out an buy one today while the other is in the wash. See above.

I'm taking advice and I've been seizing teaching moments with the girls, like talking about the letters on the Stop sign today, showing them the number 9 when Kitten kept saying talking about 99 in the store, and talking with her about caterpillars and butterflies after reading a book where a caterpillar who felt very dull turned into a beautiful butterfly. I still wish Kitten was getting a full day of that kind of learning, but I guess I'll keep working on it and see what happens.

We love our aquarium and our 3 little fishies, but one of them is apparently a "schooling" fish and keeps annoying the crap out of one of the others, following him around all the time. I need a couple more so they can school together and leave the other fish alone. And yes, they are all male. The chick at the pet store said they could tell and I'm trusting her on that. She also said that any babies would probably get eaten, but I don't think we're ready for Wild Kingdom in the living room.

We also have to keep the food up in a cabinet so the kids don't feed them constantly and far too much. And the fish come up to the top, front and center, whenever the kids come to the tank. Pavlovian much?

3 comments:

Pusher said...

Your costume was still awesome, even without skates, Pants and the tire iron. (Though, agreed, that would have made it funnier without the need for an explanation.)

Allknowingjen said...

I think I might know some "schooling" people ;) I sooooo get it.

Where did you find that tutu? You totally pulled it off (well not literally, at least not while I was there...)

Syl said...

Target! Where else?