Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Monthly bills; or, Woe is Me

So, we're trying to figure out how to decrease our monthly bills so we can survive month-to-month this year. We have money, we just don't have cash. Like, we have tons of retirement money. And equity - got that. Just don't always have the funds month-to-month to get through, what with the daycare mortgage we're paying.

But here's my problem: I can't get DSL here. Apparently, no one delivers DSL to my little cul-de-sac. So, we could dump cable and go back to satellite (cheaper and, frankly, better), but the internet cost will go up and offset any savings. And I can't get DSL, and even dial-up requires me to have a phone line, and adding a phone and dial-up ends up being just as expensive as paying for my broadband internet. I can't change the cell phones either because we're in a contract (6 months into a 2-year contract) and we'd have to pay termination fees. I can't justify moving to another cell company, even moving to MY EMPLOYER, as the savings aren't enough to cover the termination fee.

So this leaves very few options. Saving water, electricity, and gas. And we're already trying to do what we can there, and at most we shave a few dollars off with any given effort.

We've decided this battle will be won or lost over food. Eating out, eating in, eating steak, eating pasta. The way I shop will be changing. It will be far more based in the weekly ad and Sam's Club (as appropriate) than it was before. And coupons, but only for things we already buy. And meals will be cheaper and will have to go farther, meaning a meal will have to feed us all plus provide a lunch or two. No leaving the leftovers out on the counter to spoil.

There will be very little eating out. Eating in will be key.

And trading convenience groceries for "real" groceries will have to be considered. I made instant pudding today, put it into a pack of toddler snack containers (6 containers in a pack that we got from MIL, and I think she got at Big Lots! or somewhere like that). I will never buy pudding snack packs again. I will buy the $.69 pack of instant pudding and will stir it into cold milk (as if there's another kind) and pour it into the cups to dole out later for snacks and such.

Any other ideas for convenience food switches? I already buy the huge tubs of yogurt instead of the little individual cups. Some things, like jelly, are currently sacred (won't buy the mongo jars of the cheap kind, I always buy State Fair or Thompson's, whichever is cheaper that week). But these may become sacred cows - I may give them up and buy the cheaper alternatives if it gets that bad.

Suffice it to say, we'll be eating a lot of rice for the next few months. I have a rice steamer, so it's less gas too, but it takes a long time. Might start feeding the kids and eating a bit later, but that doesn't work very well either.

8 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

Is it annoying if I offer more links?
http://lilwalnutbrain.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_archive.html

There are 4 posts in total, plus other links at the bottom of the 4th post. She does a bit of unnecessary spending IMO, but there are some other good tips in there. Basically, if you are going to coupon, use the coupons on items that are already on sale to maximize your savings. Also, if you haven't already, switch to the store brands. They are much better than how generics used to be when we were kids. I'd be lost without target/archer farms stuff.

Happy Veggie said...

Onions. They are cheap and I use them to increase bulk. Kind of like what they do with Chinese food. They aren't bad nutrition, they thicken stuff a little and it also adds flavor. When I was trying to save money, I added them to store pasta sauce to make it better. I added them to ground beef for tacos too. Frozen veggies instead of fresh. And speaking of freezers, making sure yours is well organized so that when the largest expense of meat goes on sale, you can stock up.

DiploWhat said...

If you're not at home during the day, be sure to turn the thermostat up so the air isn't running so much. That helps. You could also check out joing the (is it still NSP out there?) economy plans they have where you get a reduced rate on your bills in agreement to not run things like air when it's super peek times.

The not eating out will help a LOT. For some reason, it's always the hardest change for me, though. I think because it always means more work.

Meat is expensive. Either watch for sales and bulk up on it then, or try to replace some of it with cheep things like lentils. Yummy, filling, and good for you too!

Good luck!

DiploWhat said...

Oh dear lord why don't these things come with spell check?

sullenfish said...

I think you're overlooking the obvious, here: you have TWO children, which must be considered a surplus.

I leave it to you to determine which would fetch the healthiest price.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at our food serving sizes lately. Cheesehead used to make one steak per person, plus an extra for a lunch. A serving size of meat is supposed to be the size of a deck of cards, imagine how many servings were being eaten before.... Now the kids and I split a steak and cheesehead only eats 1/2 at dinner time. I'm hoping this also helps us to loose some weight.

I also go for store brands if they are cheaper than the regular brands (unless it is one I have had in the past that we didn't like but there are very few of these). I never go shopping without my caluculator so I can compare price per serving or per ounce,... Some things may actually seem cheaper until you look at the info on the box and divide it out.

We also use all leftovers. If they are not used within a couple of days, I freeze them so they will not spoil before I get the chance to use them.

Don't forget to buy the big applesauce jars and divide them the same way you do pudding!

Do you make your own baby food?

Kashka said...

Lordy, I love me some Fred.

Anyway, I went for my convenience food triggers -- I make about 6 dozen oatmeal raisin cookies at a time and throw three or four into a baggie in the morning. Keeps me from buying snacks along the way. This summer, since I'm on the road, I bought bulk granola bars, because convenience stores are the devil.

Jaysan said...

Make sure that when I ask you if you want to go out to lunch, you say no.