Sunday, June 10, 2007

We have names afterall

So, Kitten has decided that, instead of plain old mom and dad, she will call us by our given names. She even uses the shortened version of my name that Pants uses. Syl, if you will.

Pants just asked Kitten, "What's my name?" She said it, of course. So he said, "Yes, but what's my other name?" and she said, "No, NOT daddy!"

Which got me thinking, why the formality? Has she decided this is her house and we are hired help who cannot be addressed familiarly, for fear that we will think we are in the same class?

4 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

I called my parents Bert and Teri until I started school and people thought it was weird. Drove my grandmother nuts that they wanted me to call them by their given names. Kids are just copycats, so I suspect thats they you see old people calling eachother Mother and Father, they had to to keep the kids using the right term.

Syl said...

Pants thought it was real funny until Kitten starting calling him by his given name too.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I suppose she hears you call each other by your first names and so she is, too. Pumpkin will occasionally try it, but we just turn it into a joke. But it's good if she knows your first and last names if you think about it... lost at the mall they could page you by name.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

(Man, isn't that a cheerful thought!)