Thursday, September 20, 2007

We hit the wall

Meimei finally pushed matters too far last night.

She's been crying in the evenings this week and refusing to go to sleep. She was refusing a bottle. And last night, at 12:30, she woke up and pulled it. In the middle of the night. Well, mama will take a lot of getting up, and mama will take a lot of late-night bottle feeding, but there is a line. And it was crossed.

I will not feed a meal in the middle of the frickin' night.

So now, Miss Meimei can cry it out at night until she starts sleeping through. No bottles, no getting up. We let her cry last night, and I was able to go back to sleep, so I don't know how long it was. Pants had to go sleep downstairs. It should only take another night or two to work it out.

Point is: She got greedy, so she got cut off.

That is Crazy Syl's advice - cut 'em off when you can't take anymore. Take with a grain of salt and a glass of Shiraz.

4 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Yeah, I remember how hard it was to do the cry it out with Pumpkin, but it was _definitely_ to the point of "Look, you don't NEED to nurse in the middle of the night anymore! It's just habit." And gentler methods hadn't worked. I had to promise myself I'd do it for two weeks and if it was still Hell we'd reconsider. And I had to get Mr. Kluges to reassure me that she was fine, she'd get over it and fall asleep, that she wasn't starving...

But it didn't even take a week... and then only an odd night on the rare occasion...

And nights were filled with much more sleep for all.

So yeah, if you're going to cut 'er off, stick to your guns and it'll pass.

(Gotta keep working on the "don't always let her nurse to sleep" with Penguin 'cuz otherwise I'm totally setting myself up for the same da*n problem.)

Allknowingjen said...

Welp- there goes your Mother of the Year trophy...Hee! :) I'm kidding! I'm totally kidding!
Here's hoping she catches on quick - I honestly can't remember what we did, I know there was a line drawn, but it's all a blur.

Anonymous said...

If it's time to stop, then I'd stick with it. Kids definately form habits that they stick with until you make them break them. It's not like she's 2 months old and actually NEEDS the extra feeding or anything!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.