Thursday, September 27, 2007

Zip it up

Another tidbit of Crazy Syl's Mothering Advice - take with a grain of salt and a glass of Shiraz.

Everyone told me how they had zipped up their kid's skin in their jammies at least once while I was pregnant with Kitten, and I swore I was a better mother. I would NEVER do that. I would be more careful.

And when I had an infant, I developed the first finger system, where I run the zipper with my thumb and middle finger and crook my first finger in behind the zipper. Brilliance! I could never zip my kid's skin with this system. I am the smartest mother in history.

But pride goeth before the fall, and an infant is a far cry from a toddler. I am lucky to get the jammies zipped without performing wresting moves on the kids, much less utilizing the first finger system. Now I know that moms who zipped their kids were just trying to get the zipper up while their toddler was turning away and wriggling to get your grip off their ankle.

So, be careful with the thoughts of being better and coming up with the ingenious systems - the kids change from day to day and what may have worked yesterday doesn't work tomorrow.

And don't judge your mother until you have walked a mile in her footie jammies.

3 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Yup - did that once with Pumpkin, and just 'cuz she'd been thinking it was all a game and wiggling and I was trying to hurry, and ZIP-stuck-"oops"-tears. Good thing we had character bandaids.

(And I felt TERRIBLE.)

But that IS a good system, and worked well before Kitten became a wiggle worm!

Anyway, yay for innovation & trying to do things better, but yeah, those improvement often do only work for so long... and we need to try to reinnovate. Maybe that's one reason parenting can be so exhausting.

DiploWhat said...

Think of it this way - maybe the kid will learn now that squirming whem mommy is trying to put on jammies can lead to pain. Best to stay still. What? Crazy hope of association?

Anonymous said...

Who hasn't done it at least once? Oh another possible side benefit- kids learn to zip their own clothes faster. Who wants Mom to hurt you with the zipper when you could just try to figure it out yourself and escape the possibility of it happening again? It worked for my kids! Not that I zipped them THAT often but...