Monday, November 05, 2007

Amazon women from hell

So, I found a print I like better on a Baby Phat dress but I have a couple of concerns.

1. The information says the dress hits mid-though, which is perfect, but it also says the dress is 36" from the neckline. That's 3 feet. I am 5'3". That's 15 inches left over, which has to include my head. Who the hell does this dress hit mid-thigh on? Is it reasonable to think I could hem this dress if it hits mid-calf instead of mid-thigh? Is it reasonable to think I actually would?

2. I have two triple-D buddies, Bill and Ted, who are terrified of the neckline on this dress. Suggestions?


I'm being a bit obsessive here, but I get one dress for Pants's Christmas party and this wedding, I want to be comfortable, and I don't want to look fat. Last year at the Christmas party, I not only felt fat, but I felt like I was 65. I want to feel at least sorta young and hip. Maybe I can try it on at Macy's. The problem is, they never have this stuff in the store - only online. Like fat chicks can't shop in public, we just sit on our couches in mumus with bags over our heads and order more mumus, hoping they come wrapped in brown paper with the size obscured.

7 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

I like it! Though yeah, 36" would hit me *just* above the knee and I am 5'8" and have a weirdly long torso.
But it could be hemmed- there is nothing to get in the way of that... and if you are altering anyway, they should be able to fix the neckline as well to make it more modest if you need it to be. (otherwise maybe a lacy tank underneath?)
And um, I've been shopping for you- have you tried:
alight (cute super trendy stuff here), Torrid,
Jessica London or Size Appeal? (all are dot com)
So if you are obsessive, I am not sure what that makes me... I just love a shopping challenge.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

That is a fun pattern! It certainly looks hemmable, and since you're wearing black tights with it, you could always wear a black tank top/camisol type thing to keep Bill and Ted warm and contained.

I can never buy anything unless I try it on first. Maybe it's a mental block, maybe I'm no good at visualizing clothes on a hanger on ME, maybe I need to reread "What Not to Wear," but I HAVE to try things on.

Pusher said...

Not that it invalidates your basic point, i.e., the dress is too long, but 5'3" - 3" = 2'3" (27", not 15"). So it shouldn't be quite as drastic a hem job — probably just above knee length on you rather than mid-calf.

And okay, I realize I'm the last person to make any kind of fashion commentary, but I feel obliged to point out that if you're anywhere near as fidgety as I am, elastic-banded sleeve cuffs will become either super-irritating or very non-sophisticated-looking finger toys.

I like the black cami idea for Bill & Ted (you crack me up!).

Happy Veggie said...

I agree that it looks hemable, and as the often point out on WNTW, its a small price to pay for getting the right fit. I also like the tank idea.

DiploWhat said...

Hm- a woman who is 5/10 said it hit her right about the knee....
You can always get it and see what you think. Maybe you'd actually like the extra length?

Unknown said...

Cute... but I've got a couple of issues to consider. Are you planning on wearing it more than twice? Hand wash is much more work than machine wash.

If you do need to shorten it, you could take some of the fabric as suggested and modify the neckline. Sounds like too much work for a dress that costs $70-although I AM a cheap skate. I usually prefer longer dresses anyway.

I prefer trying things on before buying them too. Have you tried Lane Bryant? I know there's one in Coon Rapids. I hate non plus sized stores because they never have anything decent in my size.

Jaysan said...

I say go for it, and if Bill and Ted come out to play, all the better! Everyone likes boobies!