Saturday, November 24, 2007

Waitin on DirecTV

When we last saw our intrepid heroes, they had been denied 2 (3?) times for an upgrade to HD service. Can they overcome the satellite giant to live an HD life?

So I called Premier after the last post to get my appointment "pushed", or moved up to a closer date, as the best DirecTV could give me was December 3. Premier informed me that they were so busy that they weren't "pushing" any appointments for any reason. And the girl informed me she just had a customer yesterday that had been screwed over even worse than me, and they wouldn't push their appointment either. Yes, thanks, I feel so much better. Oh, and Premier can't give me a credit, I have to go through DirecTV.

And Dec 3? Not on a Saturday. I called back to get my appointment moved to the next available Saturday. I tell the operator, "If I take a day off and you stand me up again, that's a whole new kind of mad." I get scheduled on Dec. 15. And they submit a claim for the "On-time guarantee credit" and someone will call me in 48-72 hours about it when it's been reviewed.

Cut to Thanksgiving. It's been 10 days and I have not heard anything. I'm figuring I will have to call tomorrow to start the complaint process back in motion, when lo, the phone rings. It's DirecTV and they want to come this weekend. They want to come tomorrow (I'm on the cancellation list). Yes, I say, we will be here tomorrow between 8 and 12. Please come and upgrade my dish.

And no, they didn't come. They called at 3 and rescheduled me back to the Saturday I had before.

So I called DirecTV again and this time I actually got to speak to a supervisor. The kid who answered was so scared of me he got a supervisor immediately. I wasn't even being mean! I was actually laughing.

The supervisor offered me $10 off monthly for the next year and Showtime for 90 days for free, which I took. There was some technicality under which I could not get the On Time guarantee, but the money off is even better.

And then something strange happened. At 5:30, the doorbell rang. ("Pizza, mommy, pizza!) It was DirecTV! They're here!

"What seems to be the problem, ma'am?"
"Uh, no problem, we just need an upgrade to HD."
"We were told there was a service problem. You don't have a service problem?"
"No, just an upgrade."
"Oh, we're really sorry, we were told this was a service call that had been rescheduled 5 times, so we don't have the equipment for an upgrade. Let me see if we can get someone out tomorrow."
They call around and say someone is coming tomorrow.

This morning. 8 or 9. It is 9:06 as I write this and no one has come yet. I really thought they would come this time.

So let's go over what went wrong this time:
  • Refusing to push my appointment after they messed it up.
  • Not calling me back after my complaint was registered for the On-Time guarantee.
  • Coming out for a "service problem" when I just need an upgrade.
And here's what went right:
  • Getting me to a supervisor immediately.
  • Giving me the discount when it was clear I couldn't get the On-Time guarantee money. Also giving me the free movies.
  • Giving me a number to call if it happens again - personal voicemail!
  • Having someone come out, even if it was for the wrong thing.
  • Them calling around to get someone to come for today - although this will move into the "wrong" list if they don't come.
So, it's starting to go better. Even the Showtime will just drop off the account after the 90 days, we don't have to call to cancel.

The saga continues in our quest for... HDTV.

7 comments:

Jaysan said...

I bet that is how they got a tech there after you complained...they were trying to work the system in your favor, but it was just unlucky that the guy didn't have the equipment to upgrade you.

Unknown said...

After all of this I sure hope it was worth it. Me? I'm STILL waiting on my $100 rebate. I just don't think it will ever happen.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DiploWhat said...

With everything they've done, do you really think they will not charge you for the Showtime and remember to take it off your account in 90 days? I'm guessing you'll be seeing a bill. Of course, maybe they can actually err in your favor for once and leave it on there forever without billing you!

mwalker939 said...

The system for applying free showtime is separate from that for adding premium channels. Free showtime will automatically delete from the account 90 days after it was added.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can say that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is even now a question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with delivery of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=pandasoft directx ?
I noticed the phrase you suffer with not used. Or you partake of the black methods of inspiriting of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg