Friday, March 21, 2008

Red-faced

So, my main cabinet problem has not been finding decent cabinets that fit my idea of what I want downstairs, it's been finding ones that are a) deep enough (at least 14 inches), and b) not horrifically expensive.

I swear to all of you that I looked on Ikea's website for what I wanted and didn't find it. And lo, last night, there it was. The cabinet I have been searching for: cheap, tall, with doors. Thanks for all the input, folks.

Now, I was going to get a countertop to mount in between, but it will stick out. I will most likely just get a nice piece of plywood and put a piece of molding along the front. I can integrate a power strip into it so we can put the computer on it. Thank god for flat panel monitors! (Is that blasphemous on Good Friday?)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! Are you going to put handles on it or leave it as is?

They've got some nice wood out there too. Too bad mdf doesn't come in small sheets, it would look really nice if the wood could be stained an approximate match to the finish of you cabinet. Or black, but maybe that's just my craziness coming out again!

Jaysan said...

You could just go with this counter top. It comes in about the right width and would probably match the shelf you liked to. Also, not much more expensive than the plywood/molding combo...
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10057760

Syl said...

It's about 10 inches too deep. I guess this one I could cut down.

Jaysan said...

There is a 15" depth one too.... check in the drop down

Kashka said...

I think God entirely approves of utilitarian cabinetry. At least, the one I worship does.