Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Stop me if this sounds crazy...

So, MIL mentioned that we should move Kitten upstairs into our room and we would take her room. Both of us kind of brushed her off, as usual.

We're actually considering it. It solves a couple of issues - Kitten's room being so cold and not wanting to set up the space heater now that she's free to roam around. Taking down the hall gate and just closing the bathroom door and letting them roam in and out of their rooms (which we can't do today because the cat's food is in our room). Getting the toys out of the livingroom. My reservation was the closets, but duh, we can just get a $20 rack from Target.

Because moving into Kitten's room would not be the final destination. We talked tonight about building the downstairs into another bedroom, so it would basically be a hallway, Kitten's room (which would open into the hall instead of the half room), the office, the master bedroom, and the laundry/bathroom. The master would be built around the fireplace and would encompass the area under the stairs as one closet and the area created by the hallway as the second closet. We would tear out the bench to give us more room. And because it's stupid.

We could use the downstairs space that never gets used today. We could have a guest room. We could have a toy-free living room. We could dress Kitten in something less than a parka for bed.

And we could have a bedroom away from the TV, away from the kids, with a fireplace.

7 comments:

ShoNuff said...

I like the idea. Plus when the girls get older it will be harder for them to sneak out if they're upstairs.

Let me know if you're doing the work and I can probably lend a hand.

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I've always wanted a bedroom with a fireplace. Romantic!

Happy Veggie said...

That sounds really nice, even with my complete lack of knowledge of your house. I love the idea of having a fireplace in your bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, sounds like something I would do! We're on finishing our third basement. I'm all for making wasted space usable. I too, would LOVE a fireplace in my bedroom. Plus, you wouldn't even have to pay someone for installation because it's already there! (I don't let Cheeshead do any type of work that could possibly cause our house to explode!)

Pusher said...

That actually sounds like a really good idea. That would make it so the entire basement is a private area. I don't remember what the basement bathroom is like — will you be happy with that as your primary personal bathroom or can you change it enough that you will be?

I second Puck's offer of help. Give us a call!

(Also, while I admire your optimism, you're going to have toys in your living room until the girls outgrow toys. I'm pretty sure that's just how it works.)

Kashka said...

Do I want to know why you have to keep your children away from the cat food? No...I guess not.

Allknowingjen said...

I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard if that tells you anything. It sounds fabulous! (and I bet it's less expensive and less work than building out over the garage?)