Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Catching up

I'm catching up on some of my Tivo from while we were gone and am currently weeping over Extreme Makover: Home Edition. But now Fringe is on hiatus until January. Boo.

The kids did as well on the plane ride home as they could have. The ride home was a bit rougher than the ride out, but we made it. We had a minor Boston-like scare at the Atlanta airport, but we managed to get on a plane after about an hour delay. Although, "just sit in any open seat" is never a phrase you want to hear when traveling with children (and when you already have 4 perfectly good seats listed on your boarding passes).

It's been hard to get back into the swing of things - the kids are a little off, I'm a lot off, and we just got our cell phone chargers mailed back to us by my parents. We haven't had phones since we came home.

My TMJ is not any better, but TSB gave me some info, I got my TMJ book from Amazon, and I'm going to go find my splint.

Oh, and I have a couple of items to add to the "traveling with children" list:
  • If small children want to carry a little backpack, let them. Get one proportionate to their size and put some of their personal items (dolls, books, nukkies, etc.) in it. BUT, rest assured, your child will stop carrying it at some point during your trip. Buy a small carob beaner clip and hook it on the top loop. Use it to connect the bag to your other luggage so it doesn't require another hand when they refuse to carry through the terminal to your connecting flight. This is my one stroke of genius and I'm proud of it.
  • I didn't believe Ms. Huis Herself when she suggested you wrap items in tissue for the novelty of opening them, but DO IT. I wish I had. It might have saved us some of the fits upon landing on the way home.
  • Bring your kid a small travel pillow. Hope they sleep.

2 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

I love the carabiner tip - that is brilliant. I've had Pumpkin carry her own small backpack when she was 2ish, but just ended up carrying it myself some of the time like you say.

Carabiner? Tiny, practically weightless, makes things easier = PURE genius!!!

Unknown said...

I quit letting my children carry their own bag. Instead I shoved their stuff into an oversized diaper bag. I got tired of ending up carrying 3 bags AND a purse. I like your idea too though. Probably a bit easier on the back....