Friday, August 17, 2007

Happy Birthday! We're going to stop poisoning you!

So, yesterday, the Baby Bargains and Baby 411 people put out a notice that the scientists pulled together to study the leaching of BPA from polycarbonate plastic raised "some concerns." Polycarbonate is the hard, clear plastic (#7) that the vast majority of baby bottles and some sippy cups are made of.

So I spent much of my evening yesterday reading websites and ordering replacement cups for the children. We're going to get Meimei off the bottle post-haste and just use cups going forward. I am debating if I want to start moving Kitten from sippy cups to regular cups, but we'll see.

I'm also concerned about the nuks, as they have a clear plastic shield that is most likely polycarbonate. We may have to ditch those too, not that it isn't already time anyway. And some of the spoons appear to be the bad plastic too.

Please, if you are using Avent, Dr. Brown's, Second Nature, Soothie, or any other clear, hard plastic bottle or cup, throw them out and buy new ones. If you're going for bottles, try Born Free, a new polyamide plastic with no BPA. As for cups, the Born Free are a bit expensive, but try Nalgene (which I understand is ok), Avent Magic, Sigg aluminum bottles - there are a couple more options, keep looking. Any plastic with a recycle number of 1, 2, 4, or 5 is ok. Avoid 3, 6, and of course 7, the polycarbonate plastic.

This is Meimei's birthday present this year.

6 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

Yup- we just did this at our house this week too. :( Though from what I read the Nalgene ones are not ok( they are a 7) especially if heated or put in the dishwasher. (??) I also checked all the plates & bowls we microwave all the time. Scary stuff. Hopefully Avent will come out with a new bottle before I need them again.

Happy Veggie said...

I'm screwed. We only got the Sprout to take the Gerber Nuk nipples, and they have hard plastic bottles. I don't know of any other wide mouth orthodontic nipples that fit on a safe bottle. And Nalgene are not really ok. Sigg makes some really cute kiddie bottles.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You'd think they may have wanted to test these products more before they gave them out to babies! Yikes. Thankfully got rid of all of my plastic wares last summer. My kids are old enough that I don't have to worry about them throwing their cups, plates, bowls anymore. I really didn't have room for them anyway.

Cup training kids is fairly easy, I trained what seems like hundreds of kids with not too many problems. Let me know if you want me to share any tips that worked well for me. I usually started around 12-16 months and most of the kids were really good about not making too much of a mess a few months later (depending on child's mood, that is...)

Allknowingjen said...

Some good links for what is ok and what is not:

Bottles
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/07/z-report-bisphenol-in-polycarbonate.html

Sippy Cups
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/05/sippy-cup-showdown-safer-bpa-free-sippy.html

Syl said...

Damn Nalgene, just ordered 2 more. Maybe I can return them.

Also, Veggie, maybe now that Sprout is slightly older and used to taking a bottle, she might be more willing to take something else. I think they sell Born Free at Babies R Us now, so you can just get 1 and give it a try before making the investment.

Happy Veggie said...

Yeah, I'm also going to try to see if I can get a gerber nipple in another kind of bottle, maybe their gentle flow ones. So far, she hasn't gotten any better on any of her other sucking related weirdnesses, so I'm guessing we're still going to have issues.