Monday, August 06, 2007

I hope puke is the new black

My children have developed an annoying habit - they've both started gagging and puking.

Kitten is now holding food in her mouth - we think she puts too much in her mouth and then doesn't know what to do with it. She holds it in there until she gags. She was just puking, but now we've gotten her to try to spit out the food, although she still ended up puking this evening.

Meimei is gagging and puking because we're still testing out what we can safely feed her and let her eat on her own. Clearly, we have not been entirely successful. Also, I thought she was okay on the lawn this evening until Pants spotted her chowing a chunk of dirt - which she promptly yakked back up on the lawn.

What to do? I hope this little phase ends soon for the two of them. I don't really remember - what does one feed a kid when they want to eat by themselves but still choke on everything? I gave Meimei egg and french toast yesterday morning and she chowed it - she's definitely needing something more substantial than baby food.

And have any of you ever heard of this holding food in your mouth thing?

4 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

Isn't motherhood beautiful?
My friend Tami told me that her daughter used to do the holding food thing. Like a chipmunk. She would see her daughter chewing hours after they had given her food, thinking she was eating something she wasn't supposed to eat. But when she dug it out, it was part of her breakfast or something. So it's a little different then what it sounds like Kitten is doing, but I'd bet it's all the same phase. I don't remember what (if anything) she did to prevent it... I will report back.

Happy Veggie said...

Its an epidemic. Sprout is trying to chew in her fingers (teething and all), and gags herself and throw up. She's getting her Nuk more to keep her from finger chewing since she's still not quite figured out that she can chew on toys.

Kashka said...

Your children are squirrels. They're trying to save up for winter. Don't fight evolution.

Here ends another reason why: Kashka Has No Children

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they'll get over it. maybe kitten's savoring the texture of partially chewed food. I'm no expert since I don't ever remember my kids doing these things but this too, will pass.

I know the biter biscuits are kind of messy once gummed down, but I don't recall my children ever choking on them. Chopped up green beans aren't usually too horribly messy, also mixed fruit, peaches, bananas, pancakes sans syrup all are not horribly bad usually if cut small enough and said child doesn't detest these foods. Of course there's the whole sticky fingers thing, but I had to feed 21 toddlers at the same time with only 3 adults to help them eat so a few sticky fingers never bothered me really. Most of them even ate the applesauce and other messy foods with their fingers. Messy hands only bothered me if they were touching my clothes with them.