Friday, August 10, 2007

My stroller problem

I have three strollers and none of them work for me.


I have my large stroller that was part of my travel system (an older version of this one). Pants insisted on the larger system, thinking it looked sturdier. The stroller is now much too heavy and large to keep hauling around. It takes up the entire hatch area in the Scion. It weighs, like, 26 lbs. Comfort-wise, it's the one Meimei is most comfortable in and it drives the best.

My second stroller was a lighter umbrella-type stroller made by Silver Cross (sorta like this one), the people who make the fancy prams for the British Royal family. I think I really got caught up in the British thing, and it was on sale, and I actually wanted the higher model, but then it was sold out after I ordered it, and I shouldn't have taken the smaller model when they called, but I did. It's light and folds up pretty small, but it drives like crap and the kids have both hated it.

I also have a double stroller. It's an older Peg Perego side-by-side that I have replaced the trays and one seatbelt on [it was used]. My problem with this is not just that it's a bit large for many trips, making it also a bit unwieldy to drive, but Kitten is growing out of it all too quickly. It's also much to large for my car, resulting in frighteningly limited visibility out the back window of my car when it's in there.

So now what? I have three strollers that I use as little as possible, and which represent hundreds of dollars sitting in my garage that have already been spent on items that worked for short periods of time, or not at all. I don't like traditional umbrella strollers - the kids sink into them and they want to sit up, it seems to make them very uncomfortable. So the cheap replacements are out. Here are my current options:

Joovy Caboose - Has a place for one to sit and one (Kitten) to sit facing me or stand, and she's probably old enough to do it at this point. Much smaller than traditional tandem strollers with seats for both kids, nice size basket, actually quite lightweight, folds up well, I think it would fit in my car (although with little room left), and allows Kitten to feel like the "big kid". I can get it for $150, but this won't really work for our trip to Maine.

Combi Urban - Stroller for one only, but drives well, only weighs 10 lbs., and is taller than other Combis, which is always the major complaint with this brand. Drove one in the store today (not this model) and it was even a bit too short for me. Perfect for travel, except for the pins and needles I will be perched atop while we are in-flight and I am imagining what they did to my $120 stroller when I gate-checked it. Downside? $120 to cover only one kid. Upside? Folds up pretty small, has a carry strap, will easily fit in my car and allow other items in cargo area as well.

Craig's List - There are often strollers on here, although they are usually older models that either don't fold down very small, or I can't get specs on them to find out, or they look like the really uncomfortable kind the kids won't like. I haven't had a lot of luck here. A lot of the postings are for doubles or joggers. And it really annoys me when people spell it, "unbrella."

Salvation Army - finding a good stroller here that will work is rare - and my requests are pretty specific. I doubt this will work either.

So I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to jump into another large purchase that will end up sucking if there is a cheaper, better alternative available.

7 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Hmmm... I've got a similar big one (that the carseat can attach to) that was a baby gift when Pumpkin was born. Used it practically daily in Ireland, esp. to the grocery store - yay for the large basket. But not a good solution for 2, I agree.

When we moved here & had Penguin, and since we only have one car, I knew we needed to get a double stroller so that I could get out of the house with the kids occasionally. I lucked out and saw a tandem one out at a garage sale and made Mr. Kluges turn around and go back so I could get it. It actually hadn't been for sale (they were having sale & cleaning out garage at same time - rather confusing mix of stuff all over the yard), but I asked about it and they sold it to me for $20! Granted, it's an older, HEAVY model, and Pumpkin is almost outgrown the front seat, but it doesn't recline far enough for Penguin yet, so I'm waiting for Penguin to be old/strong enough to sit with a slight incline instead of flat so then I can put Pumpkin in the larger back seat.

So it wasn't a great solution, but it was a cheap, adequate solution at the time I needed a cheap, adequate solution.

So that long comment was to say, you MIGHT be able to find one on craigslist or a garage sale, but probably not since your requests are pretty specific. You'll probably have to bite the bullet and spend the cash. However to offset that, maybe you can choose one of your current ones that you either a) don't really like that much, or b)won't need once you get the new one and sell it on craigslist yourself. Sure, you might not get a ton of money from it, but you could just consider it a discount on the new one, you know?

Syl said...

Oh, at least 2 are definitely going, once I get a replacement. Might have found a suitable Combi from Craig's List, am awaiting a return email.

Happy Veggie said...

Do you want to test drive my McClaren? Its an Umbrella, but of the high end. No tray, but reclines some, and is sufficient for tall people. They also make cases for it, thus making gate check less frightening.

Happy Veggie said...

Oh, if money wasn't an issue, I'd get this. http://www.albeebaby.com/phtee3busese.html

Allknowingjen said...

Hmmm... everyone I know of with 2 kids like yours has a Joovy or a Sit n Stand (same thing, but Graco I think) Or a double jogger. But no, none of those are small...
Or they put a leash on the older kid and make 'em walk. :)
It might be worth a trip to once upon a child, but it's hit or miss like craigslist.

Jaysan said...

You need a FrankenStroller. Just take the pieces you like off of the three you have and have Pants screw them together.
Or maybe go completely old school pram on their little asses. A little buggy on huge wheels.

Kashka said...

I was going through some of my baby pictures yesterday, and so your post was timely. I'll have to scan in a pic of the bare-metal and cotter key monstrosity that The Beauty Queen used to take us around in. Sure, you could fold it -- with the aid of a blowtorch.