Friday, November 28, 2008

Back in the saddle again

Posting from Maryland in my parents' office. It's weird that they can live in an entirely different house in an entirely different state, but the surroundings make me feel 15 again. Familiar furniture, knick-knacks, Christmas tree, etc. Completely different but all the same. 

The kids are loving it. My mom has a puppy, Mad Max, that Kitten is absolutely in love with. It's really just a living creature she can get away with bossing around, but she's having a good time. Meimei, on the other hand, is horrified that the animal. wants. to. touch. her.

Had a fantastic Thanksgiving yesterday with tons of family and friends. I love being out here and having new people for dinner with family too - Grma and Grpa Sch brought friends from overseas to eat with us and I loved them - funny, kind, and the woman is Dutch, so you know my mom thinks she walks on water. I have to admit, though, I was partial to Hans. I want to bring him home and have him sit by my fireplace and tell me stories in an Austrian accent and correct my German. Do you think he'll come if I offer to make him strudel? I'll make it from scratch... 

And oh, the yams. Grma Sch promised the recipe and I'll post to recipeeps when I get it. You won't be disappointed. 

But anyway, I think we'll go to the National Zoo today with the kids, then mom wants to have a little Christmas, as long as we're out here. (Yeah, Kitten already talked Nana into a present yesterday, the little conniver.) Then tomorrow it's more family time with some family that didn't make it out yesterday and then back on the plane on Sunday. 

All in all, it's just nice to have a few days with my 'rents. Haven't seen them in a while, have never seen their new place or the dog. Some of the family have never seen my kids. Having a good time and hope you all are having an amazing weekend filled with family and friends. My love for everyone overflows, despite the inevitable cold I always contract when we travel. 

Happy Thanksgiving. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like a wonderful time to be had. I think it's easy for kids to wrap their grandmas around their little finger. Luckily we live pretty close to both of our moms. I wish we had more family around still. Have a fun weekend! I went shopping today. Not sure why though. Eeek.

DiploWhat said...

Family can be a good thing. =)
Have fun at the zoo. I can watch the pandas and orangutans for hours on end.

Pusher said...

Hey, speaking of "You won't be disappointed," did you know Haagen-Dazs has a Sticky Toffee Pudding ice cream? It tastes like the ice cream version of brown sugar, with just a hint of caramel.

Glad you had a such a wonderful holiday!