Sunday, January 14, 2007

Random Thoughts

In the category of stuff I never thought I'd do again - laying out my clothes for the entire week. I have started doing it for the girls and it just makes things so much easier. Not that it speeds things up more than a minute or two, but the ease of not having to match pants to a shirt in the semi-dark or finding matching socks (to the outfit and to each other) is hard to beat. So I'm going to start laying out my clothes too.

I'm going to go to Target tomorrow and get some food for lunches. Some soup, pudding, healthy snacky items and such. We tend to run quite late here and having something ready to eat at work is better than eating out.

We got our Visa bill today and we both nearly had concurrent heart attacks. Not only did we spend like fools out of our regular account, but we racked up the credit card too. We still carry less than the average American, apparently, but way more than we are comfortable with. Between Christmas, when I admittedly went way too nuts, and new tires for the Intrepid, and new clothes for work for my non-pregnant, yet fatter body, and formula bought by the case, etc., holy crap. I thought Pants was going to blow a nut. So we're going to sit down one day a week and go through the money. I think I'm going to post the current balance on the fridge daily, as well. We tend to spend because we don't have a grasp of the effect on our budget. We both just think we have the money.

Kitten learned to say "God" as an exclamation today, and not because of me. Or Pants. We were watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, which I generally consider a kid-friendly show, but during the reveal the family kept saying, "Oh my God!" And Kitten's such a mimic she picked it up right away. Can't wait to show that one off to grandma.

It's that time again. Baptism time. And no, most of you aren't invited. As I discussed in my regular blog on another site, prior to switching to Blogger, this is not something I feel the need to inflict upon my friends or my extended family. Only the immediate family is beholden to attend. Anyone who is dying to experience a Catholic baptism can contact me for details, otherwise, consider yourselves off the hook if you haven't already been called with the time and date. Except for my Uncle Roy and Aunt Nan - your call is coming tomorrow. As far as invitations go, I am making them but I will be lucky if they are done by Sunday. Meimei's birth announcements still aren't done either, but somehow the invitations seem like something I should finish before Sunday. Even if I don't get to mail them, at least they are like a party favor. Hi, here's the invite for the event you are currently attending. Thanks for coming, hope you were on time.

5 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

Have fun at the baptism - hope there are no poopies just before the show. :) Or newly-learned exclamations during!

And I learned to totally stash some of those nonperishable healthy snacky things in a tin in my desk at work to make it even easier. (The tin 'cuz occasionally we'd get little mousies in the school...) Then if I was running late in the am, I didn't have to worry about grabbing anything. Which was good, 'cuz my other option was school lunch, which hasn't really improved in taste since we were all kids...

Good luck with the money sitch, too.

Kashka said...

Granted, it is only the third week of January, but I have managed to write down every dollar I've spent so far, including the buck I throw into the basket for coffee at church. It's excellent discipline, because I have to think about it, but I also recognize that there are things I have to spend money on, like the printer I had to buy over the weekend. But, it's kept me from eating out at lunch every day but one this month.

Allknowingjen said...

I could never do that laying clothes out thing. I would lay them out, but on Tuesday I would never feel like wearing Tuesday's outfit- I felt like wearing something else entirely. Then I was back to square one anyway. Of course, this was in high school when my clothes had less of a uniform look to them.

"Thanks for coming,hope you were on time"- Had me LOL. :) I hope all goes well with the baptism!

sullenfish said...

Just because one doesn't believe in Catholic Baptisms
Doesn't mean Catholic Baptisms don't believe in you

Anonymous said...

I love the clothes thing. I haven't had the need to do it for myself, but it's gotten the kids to wear clothes that actually match. It gives me the time to preview and make them find a better match. Okay, call me controlling but if you had seen some of the things they've worn you'd say I was brilliant! Any way, I may start doing that for myself just in case I get a 6:00 sub call or something. I fold them up and place them in one of those 8 pocket shoe holder things. It works wonderfully!!!! Good luck with the baptism, I know things don't always work as planned at those....