Thursday, January 04, 2007

Trans-Sarhoovian Who?

My dad got us (and 15 of their other closest friends) tickets to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra on December 30 at the Xcel Center. It was a fun show, but I think I somehow damaged my tailbone sitting there so long because it's hurt ever since.

If you have ever seen TSO (like it's some kind of cult or bad 70s band), you know that the first half of the show is a Christmas story told between rocked-up Christmas songs. I hate to ruin the ending for you, but the angel finds the man's daughter, poses as a small child, and goes into a bar to get the bartender to give the girl money to get home for Christmas. The guy who sang this part was pretty good and even made me forget the guy with the long permed black hair and the 80s ballad voice that made me turn to Pants and ask, "Am I the only one having a Ratt flashback?"

So the guy with the cool, deep voice that tells the story just gets to the end of the heart-warming part and the other guy with the better singing voice is singing about how if you are wondering why the people in the bar aren't trying to find their way home, it's because they are already there. Which is really sad, if you think about it, but they really just mean that the people in the bar are so familiar they are like family, not that the people are such drunks that they only feel at home at the bar on Christmas. I guess you're not supposed to think about it too much. Anyway, it's a really nice line in the song and the guy sings it really well and everyone is clapping and cheering, and my dad turns to me and says, "He wishes he had my voice." And I crack up laughing. Very hard.

So anyway, in the middle they do all of the introductions and then they go on to do some rocked-up classical music, which was my favorite part of the show, and some more modern songs. All in all, a fun show that I would recommend.

P.S. - Why is that two men with electric guitars facing each other and playing at each other always look like they are in some kind of masturbatory contest?

3 comments:

ShoNuff said...

You've just shown that despite all your proodishness you are still a prevert:) I've never even thought that about two guitarists.

Kashka said...

Pucky, I'd bet you're the only person whose never thought that about two guitarists.

Pusher said...

I dunno, maybe because they can't seem to do it without thrusting their pelvises at each other and making lots of weird faces?

I agree with Temp, husband. ...But you are not allowed to use that as evidence of your being pure and innocent.

I didn't realize TSO had a show with a plot and stuff. I thought they just did rocked-up Christmas carols and Classical tunes. This ups their (already significant) camp value immensely!