Wednesday, October 18, 2006

More stuff that's dumb

In the interest of bipartisanship, I waited until I had some stupid Democrat commercials to rip before posting a second installment of "Stuff that's dumb," which has become a politial commercial-only forum. So here goes:

"Michelle Bachman voted against legislation that would make it illegal to run a meth lab near children." Um, isn't it already illegal to run a meth lab? Would it be MORE illegal if the legislation passed? Not that I'm a Michelle supporter, but come on. Isn't there something more effectual to bring up?

"Patty Wetterling was even endorsed by a radical special interest that suggests we negotiate with the Taliban." This commercial is doing its best to suggest that Wetterling herself would like to go pal around with the Taliban. And you know what that means. (You don't? Me either, except that it appears to be a vague suggestion that she has a secret We Love Osama sign that she's waiting until after the election to try out.)

Patty Wetterling herself was a little quick to jump on the "let's flog the Mark Foley log" bandwagon, and I think using this as a political step is a bit ugly. It smacks of Republican scare and smear tactics and I don't like the Dems stooping to it.

On the other side of the coin, the Republican Committee's commercial saying that Patty Wetterling is untrustworthy because she told the Dems she wouldn't run again is a bit seedy. What do the Republicans care? She's endorsed by the Dems, they don't seem to mind that she changed her tune. And has anyone noticed how they are showing the "ripped paper" graphic during the commercial when they reference actual newspaper articles, but they also use it at the end when they say she's "another liberal that can't be trusted", making it look like that was also said in print? Oh, and using one letter to the editor to show that "her own party" doesn't think she's trustworthy is just pushing it too far.

Okay, so not terribly bipartisan, but I'm so tired of theses commercials. Can't elections be over, please?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I hate the commercials too. I can't comment on specific content since I don't see your same ads but I'm teaching my son political science at a very early age. We have been discussing how each side changes the story just a little to make someone look either better or worse. The little one is like um, what??? but I think the big one gets it at least to a certain degree. Some people may think I'm crazy to be talking politics to a 5 and 9 year old but I guess I figure I might as well start teaching them other stuff early so they don't get duped into thinking that so and so's such a nice guy because tv told me so.

Syl said...

That's not just politics you're teaching them, it's critical thinking. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about that Bachmann advertisement suggesting that "Wetterling wants to negotiate with the Taliban" is that, hmmm...seems Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist went beyond just suggesting that we negotiate with the Taliban, but actually said a couple weeks ago that they can't be beaten and that they should be incorporated into the Afghani government.

Hmmm...suppose Bachmann will be calling Frist a cut-and-run, defeatist, pussy traitor anytime soon?

Anonymous said...

As a follow-up, here's a story from today's Strib that describes in detail why that Bachmann ad is a big, steamy pile of elephant poo.