Friday, October 13, 2006

The urge to spend

What is it about being at home that gives me the urge to spend money? The fact that none is coming in? Boredom? A need to assuage my mother guilt through home improvement?

I have a burning need to go to Ikea and thank god this is a larger trip than I am willing to take on yet. I can handle Target, even a two-store trip with both girls, but something that far away that will require me feeding both and possibly, god forbid, messing with naptime, scares the hell out of me. This is the only deterrent for my going there to spend what will surely amount to hundreds of dollars.

What do I want to spend on? Stuff for my house. We are actually doing quite well on home improvement here, with not too many projects purchased but unfinished.

We have purchased supplies for, but not completed:

  • half of the child-proof cabinet locks
  • large bathroom mirror
  • bathroom wall decor (downstairs)
  • front door handle and side door deadbolt (doors need to be drilled)
  • light fixture in hall and Kitten's room
  • upstairs vents
  • new thermostat

And I want to buy:

  • wall cabinets for laundry room (above washer and dryer)
  • shelves for downstairs bathroom
  • bedside lights for master bedroom
  • shelves for Kitten's room
  • more shelves for kitchen
  • Lots more organizational goodies

But I think I have decided that, as long as my will can hold out, I will not buy anything more until all purchased projects that I can complete are done. So today I intend to get all of the vents installed, as that is a heat-affecting, and therefore money-affecting, endeavor. If I still have time, I will hang the bathroom thingy and the remaining cabinet locks, since I will have the drill in the house already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! Get those projects done! Post before and after pictures for a feeling of accomplishment and for our enjoyment! Hooray!

(And keep the drill away from that Kitten - I hear she's got big plans for Do-It-Yourself-ing.)

Allknowingjen said...

Look at you with your bulleted lists!
The joy of home ownership is that it's forever a work in progress... Good luck with your to-do list! Can't you just leave both kids in the ball pit at Ikea? :P

Jaysan said...

I like IKEA! If you need anyone to go with, count me in!