Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Words of wisdom

With NaNoWriMo pending, I am again reminded of something Maria Shriver said: You can do everything, but not all at once.
(Sidenote: I am not now, nor have I ever been a Maria Shriver fan. But this one thing resonated. Take it as you will.)
I am constantly reminded of this fact lately, as things I would like to do have to wait for the things I have to do: feed the kids, watch the kids, bathe, eat, do the dishes, laundry, pet the cat, try not to go insane. We're on a need-to-do basis only these days. Blogging is pretty much my only outlet, the only time I get to exercise my rotting brain. But this is what we've chosen, and these are the things that are important right now.
I would like to do NaNo, but it will have to wait awhile. I would like to learn Italian, take up drawing, and unpack the rest of the boxes, but those things, too, will wait. A month, a year, a decade, whatever.
You can't do everything at one time. There will be time for the things I want to do. I know, I know, I could croak tomorrow and I didn't get to learn Italian (eo sta bene!). But if I died tomorrow, that wouldn't be important anyway. The time I spent with my kids would.
As they grow more independant, there will be more time for the things I want to do, and it is this thought that keeps me together. I will have all the time in the world when they are older. Until then, things will have to wait. I have two little projects already.
********
Stop internet copyright theft-
Follow Syl's adventures only at
watching-paint-dry.blogspot.com
copyright 2006
************

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, my friend! For keeping your priorities straight!!

Anonymous said...

Well put. I gotta say it's sometimes hard to remember when stuck in the never-ending rut of cooking - cleaning - caring - repeat - repeat - repeat. I'm looking forward to doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING that actually can be begun and FINISHED someday. You know - something that won't need rewashing, recleaning, remaking, or rechanging again in 5 minutes!