Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mmmmm... new plants

Ok, they're sitting on my cement. But they'll soon be planted, my pretties.

Here's what I got:
Chokeberry bushes - 2 (not tasty, but not toxic)
Dicentra (bleeding heart) - with deep red hearts - 4 (dwarf plants, and I took the last four)
Aroncus - goat's beard
Astilbe - japonica 'Red Sentinel' - 4 (down from 6, but I felt bad about taking all the bleeding heart)
Dutchman's Pipe - a lovely climbing vine that's already trying to grab onto the other plants
Hibiscus - deep red - yum!
Kentucky mint
Rosemary
Also purchased - gorgeous begonia for MIL

All in all, got everything at my list, although I shorted myself the two astilbe, even though they were there for the taking. My front bed will be whites (chokeberry flowers, goat's beard) reds (hibiscus, dicentra, astilbe, chokeberry foliage in fall), purples (dutchman's ear), and orange (my later-to-be-planted crown imperial bulbs). I don't know what color the autumn crocus are yet, as they will also be planted later.

2 comments:

Pusher said...

Yay! Your hibiscus is sogorgeous! I can't wait to see your new garden!

I'm happy you found everything you wanted at the sale. As for the astilbe, hey, that's the great thing about perennials — next year you can just divide a couple of them and you'll have your six!

Kashka said...

Wow, yeah, batting 1.000 at the Plant Sale is like batting 1.000 when it's not a metaphor.